• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Okay, so the SkeWatcher NEQ6 Pro, the Celestron CGEM, and the Orion Altas are _all_ the same mount made by Synta – but not necessarily the same price ~ the NEQ6 is about $300 cheaper than the CGEM and Atlas.

I’m currently looking at buying the NEQ6 Pro from a local shop but when I read the manual on line, the CGEM has a lot more features and I was unable to find an online copy of the Atlas manual. I currently have a Celestron CG5-GT mount and I _love_ the precision goto option, something I can’t find in the SynScan manual for the NEQ6 Pro.

However, I understand that I can use the EQMOD software with the NEQ6.

1. Does EQMOD support or have an equivalent precision goto feature?
2. Can I flash upgrade the NEQ6 with the CGEM software?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

2. No

The mounts are indeed all made by Synta but they are not the same. In many ways very similar but not the same, and in some ways very different. One fundamental difference is that the Atlas/EQ-6 uses stepper motors, the CGEM uses servos motors so the firmware is in no way compatible.

It also appears that quite a bit more development time has/is going into the Celestron firmware.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

It also appears that quite a bit more development time has/is going into the Celestron firmware.

Yes. The firmware is used across the entire line of Celestron EQ mounts, including the $5000 CGE Pro. For this reason, it is rich in features and is continually updated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics