CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lower Friction Mount Rings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I have a Orion 8" Newt on a GEM. When I have to reposition the OTA to get the eyepiece in a more usable position, the OTA really doesn't slide on the felt. I have to pick the OTA up out of the lower half of the rings, turn it and set it back down.

Other than paying uber-bucks for a ball-bearing ring mount, is there any other way to reduce the friction? I have considered replacing the felt with PTFE, but I don't know of any adhesive that would adhere to it.

Thanks,

#2 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Ross,

There are two things that you can do that are inexpensive and tend to be quite effective. First, wax your tube with a good silicone-based automotive wax. Second, spray the felt lining in your tube rings with silicone spray lubricant.

Good luck,

Charles

#3 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Charles,

Thanks for the idea. I will give it a shot and let you know.

Ross

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ross,

There are two things that you can do that are inexpensive and tend to be quite effective. First, wax your tube with a good silicone-based automotive wax. Second, spray the felt lining in your tube rings with silicone spray lubricant.

Good luck,

Charles

What's a silicone spray lubricant? When at the store what should I look for? What about a thin film of Superlube?

While I'm asking, what car wax would you suggest?

Thanks

#5 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

I've used a liquid wax called "NuFinish" to good effect. Turtle Wax and other brands make similar liquid waxes. Generally, you're looking for a wax that will be advertised as a once per year coating. These waxes buff to a very slick high-gloss.

Silicone spray is commonly available at hardware and automotive part stores. It usually sprays on as a foam but will become a dry film after a little time passes. It's basically a dry lubricant that is often used for locks, hinges, mechanisms that include electronics, and many other applications -- even zippers.

Oh -- I also once used silicone spray to kill a spider!

Charles

#6 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

My final solution:

I wasn't able to find a car wax with silicone, so I used NuFinish. I does buff to a very nice, high gloss shine and doesn't contain any wax.

For the rings, I used Triflow. It's the same concept silicone, 'dry' lubricant, using PTFN instead of silicone. In the preliminary testing, the tube moves much easier now. I can loosen the rings, move the tube without altering the alignment. Great tip...thanks!

Clear Skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics