Photo

Lower Friction Mount Rings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I have a Orion 8" Newt on a GEM. When I have to reposition the OTA to get the eyepiece in a more usable position, the OTA really doesn't slide on the felt. I have to pick the OTA up out of the lower half of the rings, turn it and set it back down.

Other than paying uber-bucks for a ball-bearing ring mount, is there any other way to reduce the friction? I have considered replacing the felt with PTFE, but I don't know of any adhesive that would adhere to it.

Thanks,

#2 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Ross,

There are two things that you can do that are inexpensive and tend to be quite effective. First, wax your tube with a good silicone-based automotive wax. Second, spray the felt lining in your tube rings with silicone spray lubricant.

Good luck,

Charles

#3 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Charles,

Thanks for the idea. I will give it a shot and let you know.

Ross

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ross,

There are two things that you can do that are inexpensive and tend to be quite effective. First, wax your tube with a good silicone-based automotive wax. Second, spray the felt lining in your tube rings with silicone spray lubricant.

Good luck,

Charles

What's a silicone spray lubricant? When at the store what should I look for? What about a thin film of Superlube?

While I'm asking, what car wax would you suggest?

Thanks

#5 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

I've used a liquid wax called "NuFinish" to good effect. Turtle Wax and other brands make similar liquid waxes. Generally, you're looking for a wax that will be advertised as a once per year coating. These waxes buff to a very slick high-gloss.

Silicone spray is commonly available at hardware and automotive part stores. It usually sprays on as a foam but will become a dry film after a little time passes. It's basically a dry lubricant that is often used for locks, hinges, mechanisms that include electronics, and many other applications -- even zippers.

Oh -- I also once used silicone spray to kill a spider!

Charles

#6 Ross Babcock

Ross Babcock

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

My final solution:

I wasn't able to find a car wax with silicone, so I used NuFinish. I does buff to a very nice, high gloss shine and doesn't contain any wax.

For the rings, I used Triflow. It's the same concept silicone, 'dry' lubricant, using PTFN instead of silicone. In the preliminary testing, the tube moves much easier now. I can loosen the rings, move the tube without altering the alignment. Great tip...thanks!

Clear Skies

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics