Photo

Plastic Milk Bottle-based washers for Mounts!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

Having gotten a suggestion in a forum elsewhere, I have been experimenting with basic washer surfaces that can be used for an austere mount that I can build in out-of-the-way places where normal hardware (other than what I bring) is not available and expertise on asto stuff is nearly zero. At these locations mounts have to be built of the only relatively common material available: wood. So wood to wood and wood to metal surfaces need washers. I tried nylon (normally not available where we go), vinyl, heavy plastic from flashing, painted aluminum flashing, leather. The person suggested milk bottle plastic. It worked the best of all the washer substances.

So, if you are between a rock and hard place and need a washer, try this. I was surprised. Even on large surface wood to wood surfaces it works great. And, for us when we are in those places overseas, getting thin plastic from milk jugs or other food-type bottles (including old fresh water jugs that are real common) is one thing we can do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics