CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen GP tripod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 delta107

delta107

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

Hi to all,
I want to know if it is worth considering gp mount+hal130gp kit. Maybe there are less expensive options, or is it worth it? Thank you

#2 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:44 AM

Better finished than the similarly-sized CG5, EQ5 and clones for not much more money.

BUT, if you add genuine Vixen motors / controls / go-to it gets very expensive.

You don't say what 'scope(s) you've got - if it were me I'd be considering a Synta mount (EQ5 / HEQ5 Syntrek or Pro).

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

If it is truly the HAL 130 legs, (and not the AL-130 legs) then it may be worth it.

There is also the HAL 110 and AL 110.

I LOVE the HAL tripods. They are STIFFER and LIGHTER than the AL tripods.

The only Differnce between the 110 and 130 is that the 130 is about 4 inches higher.

I used a Televue 101 with a Vixen HAL 110 under a CG5 and LXD55, and the height was JUST acceptable. I had to lower my observer's chair to get to the eyepiece when viewing at zenith. The adjustable chair was necessary for this tripod.

If you are using a 4" or larger refractor and DON'T have an adjustable observer's chair, the HAL 130 looks a lot better. It is more stable than the AL 130, and taller.

If you are using a smaller refractor and have an adjustable chair, the AL 110 may be fine for you.

I REALLY like the HAL tripods though. I would love to replace the heavy steel legs on my CG5 ASGT with HAL 130s. I have a set of HAL 110s and again, they work OK, but the 130s I think would be PERFECT, and SO much lighter than the factory steel legs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics