CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What to buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty Capwell

Rusty Capwell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

Here's the deal. I bought an Orion 150mm Mak-Cass OTA last year. Though it would work on a tripod I have. Nope. I was going to buy a ioptron minitower. Then I saw everybodys got the Celestron nexstar 6SE for 799. What to do, what to do?
Will my Orion Mak dovetail fit the celetron mount? I need portability and simple set up. Thanks for any input. :question:

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

It should work on the SE mount. It uses the Vixen type dovetail which is the same as what comes on the Orion.

David

#3 Rusty Capwell

Rusty Capwell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thanks DP.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

Have you considered the CG5ASGT for $575? It's an outstanding value and works very well for scopes up to 20 lb.

#5 Rusty Capwell

Rusty Capwell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Luigi, I've looked at every tripod. If I go with the nexstar 6 I end up with another OTA for $225. I guess the real question is: How good is the Nexstar 6SE? Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics