Photo

Jupiter Observation (September 22, 2009)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

I made an observation of Jupiter on September 22, 2009 (00:30) using my 9-inch F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain. I noted detail across the jovian globe as indicated.

Date (U.T.): September 22, 2009
Time (U.T.): 00:30
L1 177.7, L2 056.2, L3 162.4
Instrument: 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Casserain
Magnification: 129x and 310x
Filters: None (IL)
Seeing (1-10): 5-6
Transparency (1-6): 4

Notes:
South Polar Region (SPR): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottled.
South South Temperate Belt (SSTB): Appears dusky (4/10) and irregular.
South Temperate Zone (STZ): Appears shaded (6/10) and contains very bright (8/10) ovals along it's northern portion.
South Temperate Belt (STB): Appears dark (3/10) and broad with condensations noted along it's northern border.
South Tropical Zone (STrZ): Appears bright (7/10) and without any other detail visible within it.
South Equatorial Belt (SEB): Appears divided into dark (3/10) northern and southern components (SEB-N and SEB-S) with a shaded to bright (6-7/10) zone (SEB-Z; dull (5/10) streaks noted within the zone).
Equatorial Zone (EZ): Appears bright with bluish-grey streaks (5/10) noted coursing throughout it. Very bright (8/10) ovals are noted over it's northern half along the southern border of the NEB.
North Equatorial Belt (NEB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) with a bright (7/10), undulating rift noted along the entire length. Very dark to dark (2-3/10) condensations are noted along it's northern border. Blue festoons (3/10) are noted along the southern border.
North Tropical Zone (NTrZ): Appears bright (7/10) and without any other detail visible within.
North Temperate Belt (NTB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and thin. No condensations noted within it at this time.
North Temperate Zone (NTZ): Appears shaded (6/10) and without any other detail visible within.
North North Temperate Belt (NNTB): Appears dusky (4/10) and irregular with dark (3/10), elongated condensation within it towards the following limb.
North Polar Region (NPR): Appears dark to dull (3-5/10) and mottled.

The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

I was able to view all of the Galilean satellites tonight. From preceding to following I noted Europa (5.23m), Io (4.96), Ganymede (4.55m), and Callisto (5.60).

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

great sketch of Jupiters quiet side,good catch on the blue festoons and the wide angle view.

#4 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

Great sketch Carlos. Very good detail in the SEB & NEB. Ovals and subtly bisected NNTB too.

Thanks,

#5 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

Wonderful sketchs Carlos. A wealth of detail. Very realistic. I especially like how you rendered the EZ. The listing of the belts and zones with your visual impressions are also informative. Thanks for posting. Dean

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Carlos,

Beautiful work with both of these very fine sketches. The bright ovals in the south temperate zone are not even glimpsed in my scope unless the seeing is near perfect.
Much interesting activity captured in the equatorial zone and both equatorial belts. Your color choices are always so fantastic. You combine the two great elements in your sketching: mechanical exactness in the eyepiece views and beautiful aesthetics. :bow: :rainbow: :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

Dean, Sol, and Tommy

Thank you all for your compliments on my latest observation of Jupiter. The seeing was average but I was able to note a good amount of detail during moments of steady seeing. The NEB and SEB were very interesting and complex (more than I could render with any definition). The Equatorial Zone (EZ) was complex as well with bluish-grey swirls that appeared to flow throughout the EZ. The NNTB did appear to be bisected over certain longitudes. I am glad that my descriptions are helpful.

The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

Carlos

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

Frank,

Thank you for your kind compliments on my latest Jupiter observation and observing/rendering skills. Jupiter always presents a wealth of detail for the observer and a challenge to render all that is visible. Some of the detail recorded (e.g bright ovals, SEB-Z columns) were noted primarily during moments of steady seeing. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Carlos! What can I say but WOW!!! :bow: :jump: :bow: Incredibly detailed view of Jupiter and it's moons. The color is spot on and the details are just stunning.

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Rich,

Thank you for the kind compliment on my latest observation of Jupiter. I was fortunate to enjoy brief periods of steady seeing that allowed me to see the detail noted. If an observer trains their eyes the color over a planet can be accurately determined (you cannot always go by images posted as the processing of the image may shift the colors). I look forward to your wonderful observations in the future.

Carlos

#11 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Take a bow maestro :bow:

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Paul,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observation. I always enjoy observing the king of the planets. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics