• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hi, all. Finally figured out why I couldn't get logged on.

Saturday evening a group of us were setting up for observing near New Ringgold, PA when we were surprised by the sudden appearance of a bright "cloud" in the southeast.
It turned out, of course, to be a test cloud. Since I was not yet set up, I yanked out my pencils and made a sketch as fast as I could. Conte pencil on black Artagain paper, which I was testing and found very difficult to work with.
Those of you who have used this paper, do you "prep" it somehow to make it easier to work with in the field?

Attached Files

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

A beautiful sketch of the test cloud Janis! :bow: :waytogo: :bow: Specifically what about the paper bothered you? I can tell you that the white Conte' pencil contains a little more binder than the sticks, and this results in them being a little less easy to blend.

#3 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

I've always used heavyweight black pastel paper with my Conte pastel pencils. I've read here about the Artagain, and like the studiness of it, especially for in the field where most paper goes "toilet paper" once it start to get damp out.

The Artagain took the pencil well enough, but I found that sponge application of the pastel hardly took at all. The Artagain paper seems to lack the "luminosity" I could get with pastel paper. I was thinking that I could maybe sand or spray the surface to give it more tooth. But now that you mention it, maybe I should also consider trying a softer pastel for my sponge applications.

Maybe this old dog can learn a few new tricks after all.
:p

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Janis,

The sketch is very nice and your style comes through as well. It does not look like you were having trouble from looking at the end result. :bow: :rainbow:
One thing I like about the white Conte' on the Artagain paper is that it erases well. That seems to be less true about black Conte' and I don't know about the other pastel colors.
You might try Canson Mi-Teintes paper, it seems to have different textures on each side. I get a different look to my pastel sketches on opposite sides of black Canson paper.
Maybe you will find one side more like what you are looking for.
Were you happy with the final outcome?
By the way I am one of your fans, I love those sketches in your gallery made with your 8" refector(reflector).

Frank :)

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Now Frank you can't have it both ways, it's either a reflector or a refractor! :poke:

#6 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I will be checking out that paper.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Sorry Rich, I mispronounced reflector above. Thanks for correcting me. :foreheadslap:

Frank :)

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Janis,

An excellent observation of the Black Brant XII/CARE test. CARE stands for Charged Aerosol Release Experiment. The Black Brant XII suborbital sounding rocket (consisting of four stages) carried the experiment to an altitude of 173 miles (upper atmosphere) and created an artificial noctilucent cloud (or polar mesospheric cloud) which was studied from the ground. It must have been a very interesting sight. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Links;
http://www.nasa.gov/...llops/CARE.html
http://spacegizmo.li...black-brant-xii
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ADUsSz1zBPM
http://www.msnbc.msn..._science-space/

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics