• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebs

Jeebs

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mishawaka, IN

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:54 AM

I believe it is Archimedes. It's pretty tough figuring out what you are looking at compared to an atlas. It looks pretty close though. I was only able to use my 6mm kellner to get close (93x). I was able to see clearer with my Hyperion zoom at 8mm (70x). I found it pretty tough to make fine lines using either the Conte' pencil or a white charcoal pencil. I will get better as I practice.

It might just be me, but I didn't find too much of a difference between the white charcoal and the Conte' pencil. The Conte' seemed to write a *little* easier but I was hard pressed to find it a whole lot different than the charcoal (other than the price). Maybe I just don't have a keen sense of media yet.

I also did a sketch of Jupiter but it was laughable at best. I think it would probably be done better with graphite pencils on white paper. I was overjoyed to see the great red spot and a transit of a moons shadow (on the same day no less). I had never seen either of those before in my 8" coulter (piece of junk) dobsonian. I am really liking my small refractor. Aperture doesn't always rule in my book.

Please forgive this image and probably many to come as I had to take a picture of it with my cell phone and save it to my computer as I don't have a scanner out on the road with me (truck driver). I also had to use The Gimp to enhance the contrast a little as my camera on my phone leaves pictures a little washed out looking.

Attached Files

#2 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:57 AM

Well, for a first sketch that's pretty good. No, make that very good. I particularly like the shading you've done there. If that's your very first sketch then your later ones should be awesome.

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Jeebs,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum.

An excellent first sketch of the Moon. You have recorded the crater and surroundings very nicely (e.g. walls, shadows). Your refractor does sound like a good one for the Moon. I look forward to your future observations.

#4 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

Jeebs, that is a great sketch. Keep 'em coming!

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

Jerry awesome first sketch of Archimedes! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: You've rendered the jagged rim shadows superbly. Beautiful use of the Conte' Pencil on black paper! :waytogo:

Regarding white Conte' pencil versus white charcoal, have you tried the Conte' Crayon sticks? They are easier to apply than the Conte' pencil and are more intense and easier to blend.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Jeebs,

This is a fantastic close in look at the shadows on the floor of Archimedes. This is the way to start. Pick one feature and do it well. You brought us all a nice gift with this first post. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :waytogo:

Frank :)

#7 Jeebs

Jeebs

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mishawaka, IN

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thank you all. I thought it a pretty humble beginning myself, but it was fun. Took me a long time to do. I only have alt-az and no tracking so it was a job just to keep the crater in sight.

I have not tried the Conte' sticks yet. I probably should have gotten those first. Oh well, live and learn. I will just keep trudging on. I should probably practice away from the scope as I don't get much scope time out on the road.

-Jerry

#8 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

• Loc: Pa - between starparties

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Great first sketch. The moon can be a tough subject as shadow and light are ever changing. Keep it up, it gets better with time and practice.

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Very nice first effort, the shadows are well done thanks for posting.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics