Photo

Sketching lamp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Has anyone tried a clip on lamp for sketching, instead of a red torch? Last week, while I was in a local art shop I came across a handy-looking clip-on LED light. It looks just the job for observing, because 'juggling' torch, sketchbook, pencils, blending stump, etc AND keeping the object centered in the field of view becomes old very quickly!
Making the white LED red might be a bit of a challenge but I bought some red acetate and some red tissue paper and this should make a handy sketching aid, particularly as there's no annoying 'bullseye' effect which you do get with some lights. It's also incredibly lightweight which is a big plus because you don't want a heavy object hanging from your sketchbook! However, as it is rather too lightweight, I hope it lasts, especially as it cost a rather extortionate £9.99 ($16.65).

I am looking forward to giving this thing a go, in the next clear night once the Moon is out of the way again.

Here's a pic of it clamped to my sketchbook:

Attached Files

#2 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

That's pretty much what I do.

#3 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Me too.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

I use one too with dark red cellophane. Works well for deep sky sketching.

Frank :)

#5 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Faith,

My wife came up with a marvelous idea (you know her well enough to know that she has all the creativity in our family) that ended up working quite well with the type of extendable light you are using (I use two, btw.. one clipped to each end of my scratch board that I use to sketch on).

I found that if you take 2 (not 1) small red party balloons and stretch them over the lamp (secure with a rubber band or tie them off), it makes a perfect red filter that also, and this is hugely important, diffuses the light into an even glow with no shadow artifacts.

This is an easy and cheap way to do it and has the side benefit of being water resistant to dew.

#6 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

I'm about to order that same clip light, but I would have never thought to use red balloons. Good idea!
Lynn

#7 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Faith,

My wife came up with a marvelous idea (you know her well enough to know that she has all the creativity in our family) that ended up working quite well with the type of extendable light you are using (I use two, btw.. one clipped to each end of my scratch board that I use to sketch on).

I found that if you take 2 (not 1) small red party balloons and stretch them over the lamp (secure with a rubber band or tie them off), it makes a perfect red filter that also, and this is hugely important, diffuses the light into an even glow with no shadow artifacts.

This is an easy and cheap way to do it and has the side benefit of being water resistant to dew.

Thanks Bic. I'd never thought of party balloons. My elder nephew's birthday is in three weeks and he is having a party, so if I can convince my sister to part with a couple of red balloons then that'd save me buying them.
Please tell your wife hello from me, btw. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics