Photo

Oct09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Submissions!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest!

Over the years, we’ve noticed we have some exceptional talent in our forums, and we’ve decided that we would like to show it off. Each month our readers will choose an overall winner, and that photographers image will be displayed on the front of CN for a month. The winner will also be awarded an official Cloudy Nights t-shirt courtesy of Astronomics.

How to enter:

Please visit our forums and submit an image/sketch in the appropriate forum, each forum will have a "sticky" thread called "Imaging Contest Submissions".

Images may be submitted to the contest threads in the following galleries:

Beginning Imaging
Film Astrophotography
DSLR and Digital Camera Astro Imaging and Processing
CCD Imaging and Processing
Solar System Imaging and Processing
Sketching

Moderators are listed by the forum name, and additionally their name or handle appears in green. Please contact them if you have any questions.

Each month, 6 images will be chosen from each gallery for the readers of that gallery to vote on. The winner will be placed in a site wide poll for our users to determine which is an overall winner.

See the individual forums and moderators for additional details and questions.

Rules are subject to change without notice.

Contest Rules:

1. Images submitted in a particular forum must reflect the focus of that particular forum.

Specifically:
  • Entries in the DSLR forum must be images captured with a Digital SLR or digital camera
  • Entries in the CCD forum must have been captured with a dedicated astronomical CCD camera
  • Entries in the Film Astrophotograpy forum must have been captured with a film camera
  • Entries in the Solar System forum must be of subjects within our solar system
  • Entries in the Sketching forum must be an image of a sketch
  • Entries in the Beginning Imaging can be of any astronomical subject as long as they are captured with a camera of some sort and do not violate any other rules.
2. In order to provide a level playing field and to encourage participation by novice imagers, entrants in the Beginning Imaging forum who win the semi-finals poll in the CN Imaging Contest a total of three (3) times - or who win in the finals regardless of the number of times they have won the semifinals - will have demonstrated sufficient proficiency at astrophotography to no longer be considered a "beginning imager". Such an imager will be considered to be a "graduate" of the Beginning Imaging Forum, and are encouraged to compete in the other imaging or sketching forums. The exception to this rule will be in the case of an entrant who wins the semi finals poll in Beginning Imaging as an uncontested entrant. An uncontested winner in the semi-finals will not have their win count toward their "graduation" as a beginning imager unless they also win the overall contest.

3. Entrants may submit an image for consideration in only one forum participating in the CN Imaging Contest. Entrants submitting images in more than one forum must choose a single forum to enter in or else all submissions from the entrant will be subject to disqualification.

4. All entries must be captured within the same season as the contest. For example, if the subject was Orion Nebula, than any photo captured during this particular winter (or period that it was visible) would qualify for the contest.

5. Please include the equipment used to take the image. Scope/Mount/Camera/Focal reducers/Barlows...whatever, as well as your name, the time / date and your location.

6. Entries are limited to absolute maximums of 100,000 bytes in file size and 800 pixels X 800 pixels square. Entries that do not meet this criteria will be disqualified.

7. Links to any other versions of contest entries are specifically restricted and will subject the entry to disqualification if included.

8. There will be a separate sticky thread for Contest entries. Please do not post comments in the entries thread its just for these wonderful images you all will be submitting.

9. The equipment must be yours. Doesn't matter what it is. 20" RC, ETX70, 2" Tasco or an 8" TMB.

10. You must be the owner or co-owner and operator. You must setup, align, take the exposures and process them yourself. No pay by the hour rent-a-scope images will be allowed.

11. A given user can only win in the finals once every 3 months.

12. Voting for the individual polls posted in the forums will be no later than the 5th day of the month. Forum voting takes place from the 5-8, finalist pictures / poll is posted no later than the 10th, and voting takes place from the 10-15. Finally winners are posted to the front page on the 16th of each month.

#2 nunciusaustralis

nunciusaustralis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

I ll give my best. :roflmao:

Attached Files

#3 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:21 PM

OK might as well throw my hat into the ring. M31 and M32 observed with Nexstar 8SE and 40mm eyepiece plus hyperion zoom for some fainter detailing; sketched and then photoshoped.

Attached Files

#4 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

M42 (the Orion Nebula) sketch.
The drawig was made in Negev desert, in Israel, at 16 oct.
Instrument: Orion's 8" Sky View Pro newtonian, 12.5mm plossl.
Sketched with graphite pencil on a white paper, scanned and processed in Photoshop.

Attached Files

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

The Great Lunar Peninsula
On this cold early morning I chose for sketching the lunar highland region that is pointed directly to Earth, namely the Great Peninsula and the adjacent Mare Nubium. It would be much fun to draw the entire visible part of the Peninsula in just one sketching session at the eyepiece but that is just a dream with the terminator features changing so quickly. I focused on just what I could handle inside my self-imposed two hour limit. The seeing was good and that alone means ignoring some visible detail within the allotted time.

Sketching:

For this sketch I used: black Canson paper 9”x 13”, white and black Conte’
pastel pencils , and Conte’ crayons, a blending stump, plastic eraser.
Telescope: 10 inch f/ 5.7 Dobsonian with 6mm (241x) eyepiece
Date: 10-11-2009 9:30-11:30 UT
Temperature: -3°C (27°F)
Clear becoming mostly cloudy, calm
Seeing: Antoniadi II and briefly I
Co longitude 182°
Lunation 22.7 days
Illumination 49.4%
Oak Forest, Illinois
Frank McCabe

Attached Files

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image

*Lunar pastel sketch produced on June 2 2009-

As it was a beautifully balmy evening with clearing and the gibbous moon showing many interesting features, no less the magnificent terminator, I set up my 10.1" Newtonian reflector to sit out for several hours and decide which features I would render in pastel. As I began to observe without sketching for the first half hour with approximately 68 F temperatures, light wind degraded seeing. Then still air followed by 10 PM and seeing was steady for some time.

I began observing about 9:45 PM PDT and finished about 1 AM. I focused on Sinus Iridum again with Plato, Copernicus for the first time [left unfinished as I did not include its rays, only concentrating on the crater walls and rim], a roughed in Mare Crisium, also unfinished but included Proclus and its rays roughed in. It was amazing to see how the terminator changed over three hours. I had to leave some features as is in the original hour. This is an artistic license that tests ones observing abilities; the changing effects of what we assume is a static and unchanging moon. The light and dark moving at the terminator is actually quite dynamic!

The detail at middle left was at the terminator but I cannot identify it. What caught my eye was a light shaft that I only rendered roughly at the middle of the detail, as I originally intended to feature it as the main subject of this work. I could actually note over a few minutes time the light creeping across this craters floor! I instead became lost in so many other surface images, that I was overwhelmed and began to feel sorry for those who raced by in their cars in the street next to me. They don't know what they are missing! I see my charts at possibly somewhere between Epimenides, Elger and Palus. Will someone confirm this? Again after about three hours I was fatigued at 1AM as seeing degraded and the moon was low in the atmosphere. I continued inside with the whole moon image [at 10" diameter] as seen conventional by the unaided eye earlier, only roughed in from low power at the telescope by finishing with use of photos I took through the telescope eyepiece for reference. *(Note Sinus Iridum detail at bottom in inverted reverse as sketched through eyepiece.) The foreground lunar landscape was done last, finishing at 4 AM this morning June 3, entirely from imagination. It could be a rille or walled plain not necessarily related to any of the observed features. Perhaps I imagined standing on the surface with that shaft of light approaching.

Various pastels on 20" X 32” coal black 100% cold pressed cotton fiber Stonehenge paper. The art work has since been framed behind glass and rephotographed on October 26th 2009-*Some reflections through the glass may be present but efforts to avoid them were exercised.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#7 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:47 AM

Submissions are closed - good luck in the contest!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics