Photo

Celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece accolades!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I have a stable of Radians and Pentaxes... and for years have used a Vixen 8-24mm zoom, combined with an Orion 2x barlow, as my main planetary eyepiece. (It displaced a Konig and U. Optics ortho--and competes well with the high end eyepieces--and the RKEs I own, too. Really like the ability to vary the zoom to fit the seeing conditions.)

Well, I picked up a Celestron 8-24mm zoom the other day... and I'm impressed. I got it for use in my small, light weight, knock about scopes--and for my PST. I figured I could even leave it permanently in the PST, that is, *IF* it provided decent images.

Turns out, it matches or exceeds the Vixen on the PST. Nice dark fov, crisp images, little solar ghosting.

The focal length changing is a bit stiff (as has been reported elsewhere) whereas the Vixen is smooth. (Neither has click stops for the different focal lengths.) But the Celestron has a wider fov-- 64 vs. 54 degrees at 8mm and 51 vs. 46 at 12mm. Plus, a nifty feature of the Celestron is that underneath the eyeguard, it is threaded for digicams! That means one can zoom to the right mag and attach a digicam (I use a digi-t) and snap away. It also costs much less than the Vixen or Televue zoom.

So, if you don't have a zoom yet, and want to start in inexpensively, I'd recommend this one.

#2 Johndob

Johndob

Viking 1

• Loc: Gardena,Ca

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

It sounds like my Zhumell. It works great,and have threads too. I took mine apart to smooth the machined slots (two groups smyth and center group move at different ratios to keep in good focus when zooming)also changed grease. The plastic case can be used as a drink cup, bottom has sticker MZT8-24. Neat zoom and does the job well.

#3 ibase

ibase

Vendor Affiliate

• Vendors
  • Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

It's good to see zoom eyepieces getting good reviews from owners and gaining the respectability it deserves. Thanks for posting.

Best,

#4 deleterman

deleterman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: san diego,ca

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

It's about time for the zooms, i was just looking at the Proxima 8-24 mm and it looks just like a WO and also the Celestron 8-24, has anyone used or seen a Proxima 8-24 mm ? any thoughts on this neat looking zoom? and at $139 hard to beat ! ? H.B.

#5 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thank you very much for this post! I just purchased a PST. Based on some other things I've read, I got the impression my current wider field view lenses might not work well with the PST. Indeed this proved to be the case.

I ordered the Celestron zoom the same time I ordered the PST. So glad I did so. These two seem to be a great match! I have yet to try the Celestron zoom for night time viewing. However, as a match for the PST, it rocks.:waytogo:

Thanks for the suggestion. :thanx:

#6 deleterman

deleterman

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Stephen,is the Celestron a 8X24 zoom ? and how much was it ? Thanks.H.B.

#7 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

The eyepeice I'm talking about is the one that zooms from 8 up to 24mm. It's at 1.25" eyepiece. OPT sells it for $60. Again, I have not tried this eyepiece at night time (have other eyepieces that have my night time viewing well covered). However, for the PST, it works great.

#8 deleterman

deleterman

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Stephen, looks like a good deal and at a great price, you just can't beat the price that's for sure.that's the thing i want to use a zoom at night mostly for the moon and the other planets.anyone else have a thought on that ?H.B.

#9 FlyBD5

FlyBD5

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston MA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Well, I'll be damned. Four years later and I find out that the Celestron zoom eyepiece I just bought has an M42 thread on the eyepiece. Who knew! :)

#10 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

had a meade zoom many years ago and loved it. but I don't know what meades zooms are doing these days.
I have been thinking about a pair of zooms for the BV. just was not sure if they would give a good view or not. may still try it.

#11 ibase

ibase

Vendor Affiliate

• Vendors
  • Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

..thinking about a pair of zooms for the BV.

Get one with clickstops, so the focal length will be easy to set on 2 EP's.

Incidentally, since my last post here, I've acquired a Celestron 8-24mm zoom and reviewed it here.

Best,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics