Reworking a Jupiter sketch from 9-19-09

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

I've only done a handful of Jupiter sketches, yet each new extended viewing session shows me places where my previous interpretations have missed the mark. Getting the band proportions and the subtle colors right (or close to right) has been a work in progress. Learning to soften the sketch and the edges of Jupiter, its moons and their transit shadows has helped with the realism. Though it's not nearly as visible (if at all?) through the EP, I think that adding some volumetric shading on the edges helps give the illusion of a rounded structure, so that's more of an artistic decision than an accurately representative one.

The sketch from this night has been my favorite so far in terms of the details I was able to capture, but there was a lot of room for improvement in the directions noted above. I know that in the imaging forums, some of this may be termed "reprocessing", and seeing as I'm doing all the new work in the computer from a scan of the original sketch, I guess that may seem be a more accurate term than "reworking", but it's not just a matter of running some wavelets! I hope you can see the improvements. - j

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Jay,

A beautiful and accurate observation of Jupiter. Your observation agrees with what I note at the eyepiece as well. The colors of the major belts (NEB and SEB) as well as the Great Red Spot (GRS) are very accurate.

I do not see a problem with "reworking" an observation as long as the observer does not add detail that was not observed during a particular observing session. Imagers are always reprocessing their images in order to bring out more detail and no one has a problem with that (as long as the imager explains what processing technique was employed).

Carlos

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, Carlos! What's hard to keep in mind is just how subtle (in terms of value range) the formations really are. We're so accustomed to these processed images that's it's easy to forget that they are generally very light overall.

Though the sketches and the images are large, my target is for a smaller reproduction of the sketch (where you wouldn't notice the lack of detail) to be mistaken for (if not indistinguishable from) what one sees through the EP. - j

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Jay

Nice work :bow: :bow: :bow:. I missed out this past season and of lately, attempting a good Jupiter sketch. I agree with Carlos as we know what happens, as artists like to make all things perfect. [All humans are actually born artists to some degree.] In the process, something else takes place. I won't repeat it though as I know, I have been there too. It is a human condition that is undeniable.
Keep up the good work!

*I just looked at your Eero2 Ball scope site; beautiful photo documentation. You could shoot for aesthetic advertising images. A gentlman in Eugene Oregon built one similar to yours, brought it to a small star party for John Dobson a couple months ago here; Dobson was enthralled with asking questions about his construction methods. You know he just turned 94 years! His mind is still as sharp as a tack. I believe his purpose keeps him going strong. We should all learn from it.

I look forward to seeing your future sketch art.

Mark

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Jay,

It is hard to believe you could improve on the original but you did it. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

Jay,

Not sure to say how I feel. It's amazing. The best compliment I can give to anyone I feel is to say that your sketch makes me want to observe that object. Well, yours does and it increases it by making me want to observe Jupiter now. Alas, I didn't out tonight and should have but next week! Well done.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics