• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thanks to the advice from Jeremy and others on using Photoshop a while back I have now cast all my 2009 sketches into Photoshop and added them to my gallery at
http://www.cloudynig...r=39382&cat=500

A lurker no longer!

I attach one of the latest drawings. Learning new tricks and techniques all the time thanks to this site. I originally started because I couldn't find much on the web that showed me what objects REALLY looked like in a Nexstar 8SE from an urban environment. Now its just fun... :D

Hope you like them.

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Chris,
I went to your gallery and looked at all the sketches you posted there. I must say that is a very nice collection representing the universe from and urban environment. You have done an especially nice job on the gas giants and globular clusters.
You can be very proud of all this hard work which I know you enjoyed doing. :cool: :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

Chris,

Went through your gallery and really enjoyed viewing the many objects you've recorded there. I like your format with a comment underneath. Ditto Frank on you being proud of all this hard work!

#4 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Great sketches, Chris. You've got a nearly complete set of Messiers there!

-- Jeff.

#5 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

What a great collection of sketches! I really like how you've done your formatting, it keeps a clean and organized feel to the sketches and allows information to be readily obtained. Thank you for sharing!

- Jay
South Florida

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Chris, a superb collection of sketches! I really enjoyed seeing such a variety of objects and like Jay mentioned, your format is clean, organized and easy to read. Great job! :waytogo: BTW, welcome to the Sketching Forum! :D

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Chris,

An excellent observation of NGC 869. You have captured this impressive pair of the Double Cluster very nicely. Your gallery is excellent and shows a variety of deep sky objects. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#8 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

thanks all. I said I was posting the images to my other half and she said "no one will look at these surely?" - nice to prove her wrong :smirk: In fact most are part of the "Nexstar 50 targets" that has been set up by Mike Swanson so I'm moving through the seasons to pick them off. Perhaps one day I'll move into astrophotography but I find sketching simply makes you think more about the target. What I really want to do is find an mp3 site that offers audio descriptions about the images as I observe (through ipod etc). I have found astronomerica but any thoughts on other sites welcome.

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

Chris

Beuatiful sketch work, beautifully documented! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your large Messier gallery is a great inspiration for others to learn from. You have inspired me to try some deep sky objects soon if the weather hold up here.

I was wondering what kind of environment you observe from. Dark sky or suburban near a large city, etc. *Sorry I had to reread your origional post, that you indicate an urban environment. How far out and how large of a city are you near?

I look forward to seeing more of your sketching,

Mark

#10 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the comments Mark. I'm just north of the City of Bristol (500,000 people) and unfortunately get city glow in the south. North is OK but blocked by my house (OK so not a great choice of location!). Things improve after midnight as the lights go down or else I move the scope to slightly darker skies in the local area.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics