Venus and The Moon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

I was able to view the Waning Crescent Moon (27.6 days old) and Venus over the eastern horizon on October 16, 2009 (10:40 U.T.). The Moon (-9.29m) was approximately 12 degrees above the eastern horizon and Venus (-3.93m) was ~11.6 degrees and both were separated by ~6 degrees from each other. Lavender-grey clouds were mixed with pastel orange ones over the eastern horizon.

An image produced in Pixelmator.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:00 AM

Carlos

Beautiful art work! :bow: :bow: :bow:
You are always ahead of us on the latest in the sky. I especially like your rendering of the clouds.

Thanks for also sharing the phase and position info of the moon and planets as guidelines for us. It's nice to keep up on this in seeing your posts as not only great useful text info but also great art.

Mark

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Very nice Venus and the moon for us folks who don't rise so early in the morning. :cool:

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

Mark and Tommy,

Thank you for the compliments on my Moon and Venus observation. It was such a beautiful sight that I had to record it. I hope that you both are able to see future groupings of the Moon and planets.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Carlos,

This is a beautiful sketch and must have been a very pleasurable view to see live. I was on my way to the airport in the rain when you made this sketch. Thank you for sharing it. :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

Frank,

Thank you for the compliment on my Moon and Venus observation. It was a very impressive sight to view the pair with the pastel colored clouds over the eastern horizon. I am sorry that you were not able to view the event. The best of luck in your future observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics