• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

The new photographic image of the large lunar pastel impression that I produced July 8 ~ 9 2009

The old and new together for comparison follows in the next window. If your eyes can stand to flex their muscles a little, the two differing photo images can be seen as a stereoscopic effect that is slightly 3`D. This pastel is on black Stonehenge 22" X 30" pastel paper; the moons disc was sketched at 16" diameter. -Mark

New Image was photographed from a Sigma 35mm SLR Digital camera with a 50mm ~ 150mm Sigma lens >
Posted Image

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

New image [left] with old on [right] for comparison *The stereoscopic effect is most apparent by placing the eyes approximately 12" from the screen - It may take some practice and patience to see this >
Posted Image

#3 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hi Mark,

3D effect works well. My congratulations to this masterpiece. This would be a dream for my collection of art.

Clear skies

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

Mark,

Yes this one works better than the other one to my eyes in 3-D. Beautiful. :cool: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Mark,

The new image exhibits more luminance and does appear more three-dimensional. Thank you for sharing it with us all. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

Paul, Frank and Carlos

Thanks again to all of you. I actually discovered this stereoscopic process as accidental due to my friends stereo imaging work strictly with photographic images while he re-photographed my art work. I did not intend to display a stereo pastel image of my past works. I merely meant to post a comparison of the past image with the new photographed art work but when I used the stereo viewing technique of these two differing images combined, and I saw the 3-D effect, I was stunned. I may try to create more of these. Now I am interested in this accidental discovery as possibly a new venture.

Do any of you see any value in displaying observational astronomy hand sketched images in stereo 3-D vision. Have I stumbled onto something useful or is it only a novelty?

Just to explain, each image is slightly different. You cannot simply put two identical images side by side and create the stereo 3-D visual effect. Each photo must be a slightloy differing perspective; hence the true stereo imaging is done with two separate cameras separated some distance as like our eyes are separated but the cameras must be a more extreme distance apart, say several feet.
I am not sure why two duplicate sketch images create the stereo effect, other than each is slightly different in lineage due to differing camera imaging.

Mark

#7 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

Mark

see this thread:

http://www.cloudynig.../fpart/all/vc/1

You will find a lot of information there.

Clear Skies

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Paul

And I thought I was going overboard about posting these accidental findings of mine about stereo 3-D. I am glad to see that many others discovered this long ago. Conversely I am sorry to see that a few cannot experience it due to trouble with their eyes. It is an amazing experience of seemingly reality when it works. -Mark

#9 nunciusaustralis

nunciusaustralis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

The 3d is efective . Actually both have it. . Stereoscopy on sketchin. I studied this with aerial photos Great.:bow:

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

Nuncius

Thanks for your interest in this. I'm glad that you noticed the stereo effects as some people cannot. Can you tell us anything of the technical aspects about aerial photography as this relates?

Thanks again for any further information,

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics