• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Starobserver

Starobserver

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

Observing report Regulus
In the 12-inch Dobson, even at the lowest magnification alpha Leonis is easily split, and can only be described as stunningly beautiful. In the 35mm Panoptic the extremely bright Regulus (alpha Leonis A) dominates the field of view with its sparkling appearance. The four large diffraction spikes amplify this effect dramatically. To the northwest I can see the fainter companion of Regulus, alpha Leonis B. It has a soft yellow colour.

In the 22mm Nagler, alpha Leonis looks at its best. This eyepiece, yielding a magnification of 72x and a field of view of 68', is also used for sketching Regulus.

Alpha Leonis is a wide double, separated by a few arc minutes. There is a large difference in magnitude between Regulus and its companion, at least 5 or 6 magnitudes, maybe even more. I do not see any other remarkable stars in the field of view, just some faint field stars. I see no nebulosity or glow of unresolved stars. Besides the yellow alpha Leonis B, I do not see stars that show any hint of colour. I tried all possible magnifications, even stopped down the telescope to 5.5 inches (off axis). This way I tried to see if the colour of Regulus maybe would shift a little to a more bluish tint, but despite all my experimenting, Regulus kept its bright white colour.

For more recent research and very interesting facts about Regulus please follow this link.

Enjoy!

Attached Files

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

Math,

Wonderful capture of this pair! Nicely done.

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Math, beautiful sketch. I never tried to draw a double, but your sketch makes me think "why not trying once...".

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

Math,

Looks great. You obviously work with much attention to details.

:bow: :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#5 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Beautiful sketch, Math. The way you've illustrated Regulus, it almost feels that it is threatening to overpower my vision and obscure its golden double. Capturing bright stars in sketch work has always been a challenge to me. I'm liking this method of rendering bright stars as opposed to my present technique of drawing them as larger than the surrounding stars.

- Jay

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics