Photo

Solar Observation (October 18, 2009)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

I was able to make an observation of the Sun in hydrogen-alpha using a friend's excellent Coronado SolarMax 60mm refractor. The SolarMax is an excellent solar instrument which shows fine detail over the solar disk. The solar disk was inactive at this time, but I was able to see three prominences along the solar limb. The prominence located at approximately the eight o'clock position was a loop prominence. The two prominences along the six o'clock position were long, thin, and delicate.

Images produced with Photoshop CS4.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Detailed sectional sketches of the prominences.

Images produced Photoshop CS4.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

Carlos

Great sketches! :bow: :bow: :bow: You have rendered a very realistic sun through the h-alpha filter. Great surface texture rendering also. That is actually the most difficult part to render by hand for me with pastels as there is so much detail to represent across the entire surface.

I have been viewing the sun through h-alpha filters for the past 10 years but rarely see realistic sketches by others of the whole sun.

Thanks for sharing this; I look forward to seeing your future sketch work,

Mark
www.markseibold.com

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Mark,

Thank you for the compliment on my solar observation. It was fun observing the Sun using the SolarMax refractor. I am glad that I am able to accurately represent the appearance of the Sun as visible through a hydrogen-alpha instrument. I look forward to your observations in the future as well.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Carlos,

A beautiful solar sketch. This would make a great ad for the Coronado Solar Max 60mm refractor. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Frank,

Thank you for the compliment on my solar observation. It was fun to observe the Sun in H-alpha with the delicate prominences along the limb. The Coronado SolarMax 60 is an excellent solar telescope. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:44 AM

Nice one, Carlos.

Next time you get a chance with the SolarMax, pump up the power on those proms and let us know what you see. (With 60mm you might even be able to see the spicules along the limb at 70X or 80X. I can't with my 40mm, but they're quite obvious with my 70mm.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#8 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

very realistic sketch of the sun, can't wait until the sunspots come back.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

Jeff and Tommy,

Thank you both for the compliments on my solar observation in H-alpha. Not much detail across the disk (besides the granulation), but I did enjoy the three prominences. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics