Photo

Jupiter 10-19-09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

Not a lot of nights left with Jupiter as it disappears from my view before 10, so I'm taking what I can get. It's a bit frustrating with the seeing being so bad as my first two nights of sketching had exceptional seeing and now my detail level has dropped off dramatically. So I'm concentrating on getting the feel of the planet right. I think I'm closer still. :) - j

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

Jay,

An excellent observation of Jupiter. I also believe that you are getting the feel of Jupiter in your renderings. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:50 AM

Jay

Beautiful sketch again of Jupiter and one of its attendant moons. :bow: :bow: :bow: Did you use the same technique of pastel/charcoal initially, then enhancement in Photoshop?

Keep up the good work,

Mark

#4 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

Yes, Mark. I started with charcoal. Here's my initial sketch with some notes. - j

Attached Files

#5 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

Stepped back a bit...

Attached Files

#6 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Despite the poorer seeing, you've still captured fantastic detail on the Jovian planet. It's interesting and educational to compare your charcoal sketch to the final one, too.

- Jay
South Florida

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Jay

It's nice to see your original sketch with notes and I appreciate what you are doing as you can imagine. :bow: I forget to post some of my original field sketches and should make up a reworked album in my site about them.

I would still like to hear what your wife likes better about the original sketches before the Photoshop work. I know it will probably be the intuitive words we see in many art books but it may also be too personal for the public pages here. In that sense, I understand so please forgive me for prying. I just think it is important for those who have never sketched to understand this as I believe the process is necessary to lifes living.

Mark

#8 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Very realistic sketch of the king,you definately have the feel of it.

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Jay,

Beautifully done. You make this look easy. This is not a technique than be mastered quickly. :bow: :rainbow:
And it does have the right "feel" I am sure. :cool:

Frank :)

#10 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

I would still like to hear what your wife likes better about the original sketches before the Photoshop work. I know it will probably be the intuitive words we see in many art books but it may also be too personal for the public pages here. In that sense, I understand so please forgive me for prying. I just think it is important for those who have never sketched to understand this as I believe the process is necessary to lifes living.

Mark

Mark, I tried pressing her for this on our walk home last night and this is the gist:

The drawings or sketches are precious in that there is only one original. They have a physical and emotional attachment to the drawer that is immediate, directly conveying the subtleties of pressure, speed and level of confidence, representing the "now-moment" of an idea. Drawings capture life.

I understand what she means. If I were to die today, she'd much rather have a stack of yellow, ruled legal pads that I've done sketches on instead of large, glossy printouts of computer illustrations.

The computer is a great tool for digitally manipulating visual and aural performances, but the digitizing process–by its very nature–creates a gap between the analog expression of one's physical body and the interpreted nature in which it's displayed, whether on a print-out or a screen.

This is probably why I hold onto my early portfolio pieces, mostly painted in guache, while I've let most of my digital work sit on CDs and DVDs, or let it get lost on floppies, Syquests, and Zip disks. - j

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics