M57, The Coathanger, & M27 from the city

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

During the past week I've been able to observe on several nights. I've been greatly surprised by how much detail I've been able to see despite using a scope with only 77mm aperture from magnitude ~ 4.0 city skies.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since observing these targets, I've been able to view the interesting open cluster and nebula complex NGC 6823. Unfortunately I'm not satisfied with what I've been able to observe just yet and know that I can get a better view if I spend more time on this object. I never thought that I'd take so much enjoyment from observing from within a city!

- Jay
South Florida

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

Jay,

Excellent observations of the Dumbbell (M27), Ring Nebula (M57), and Cr 399 ("The Coathanger'). You have captured them all well with your moderate instrument.

Carlos

#3 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

Thank you, Carlos. I had a good time observing these targets, and am eager to try for some more. The "mostly cloudy" skies forecast for my area through at least Saturday seem to promise, though, that my observing is shut down for awhile!

- Jay
South Florida

#4 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

Remarkable sketches from your 77mm, Jay. I've pretty much given up viewing DSOs through my 12"(!) because of the LP here. Nice job! - j

#5 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

Wonderful sketches Jay! Your capture of your details is very nicely done. I enjoy viewing your sketches, keep sharing them please!

#6 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

Nice capture - I like the Coathanger - bigger scopes lose the asterism while binoculars do not capture background detail.

And so many Jay's tonight :-)

#7 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

Many thanks for the kind words, Jayscheuerle, Jay (in Utah), and Chris. I really enjoyed sketching these objects and greatly look forward to sharing more in the future.

Jayscheuerle - recalling my visit to Philly years ago, I couldn't imagine observing from anywhere within about 10 miles of the downtown. I think that my "white zone" might not be as bad as full urban white zones as I live between a couple of medium sized cities as opposed to within short distance of a major hub.

Chris - Jay (in Utah) had mentioned to me about all of us "Jays" being in one place. In the dynamical systems research I work on, we'd call this a clustering phenomenon. ;)

- Jay (the Florida one)

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Jay,

These are wonderfully rendered sketches. It really is fun to see what others can capture from less than ideal skies.
Well done! :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#9 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Thanks, Frank!

I see my skies as a challenge, so even if the view isn't as great, I take much reward from merely being able to glimpse a given deep sky object. Any details I find are just extra dessert. ;)

- Jay
South Florida

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics