5 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Posted Image

In no particular order than the artists choice, I am resubmitting these at random. This one was sketched a couple days before the Lunar Venus Occultation on April 22nd 2009 to post to Spaceweather.com’s front page to alert observers to the event. http://www.spaceweat...th=04&year=2009

Strangely with blue filtration, the newer image at left came out in proper color, where the older image is particularly bluer and not accurate to the actual charcoal black Stonehenge pastel paper. [The pastel sketch is on 22” X 30” Black Stonehenge pastel paper.]

The stereo effects of the two paired up in the following window are only an accidental anomaly. I understand that some may not easily see the effect as it is a learning experience for the eyes.
I won’t go into the method to see it properly but I can tell you that I have learned much about my own eyes in discovering this for the past week. My friend that is re-photographing my art work states that you are not to cross the eyes but to look parallel into the pairs. I find that hard to believe. When I adjust my eyes to these pairs, the effect appears as I see three images develop and the third one appears to emerge and jump slowly moving out of the central pair to the right. You can then gaze back and forth at all three while holding the eyes focus. This may say something about left or right eye dominance. But then I am not an eye doctor but I have played one on movie sets. I made a test and covered each eye while in this observing mode. Covering the left eye, the right image disappears; conversely covering the right eye, the left image disappears. Something to learn from?

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Posted Image
Lunar Venus Occultation in 3~D Stereo [new photo at left, old at right]; from a 22" X 30" pastel sketch on Black Stonehenge pastel paper, made on April 20th 2009 preceeding the event April 22nd. -Mark

Relax, this won't hurt a bit . . . :crazyeyes: :bigshock: :cool:

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Mark,

Fantastic. I like the way the blue filter returns the black paper to its proper appearance. The colors are more vivid too. :bow:

Frank :)

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Frank

I was hoping that others would also notice that the moon seems to life right off the paper in the stereo version.

I'll be reading up on that past thread that others here instructed how to actually create the stereo effects with proper use of contrasting colors and placement difference from one image to the orther. So far it is just all accidental. :question: :foreheadslap: :tonofbricks:

Mark

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

Mark,

I loved the old observation (sketch) of the Lunar occultation of Venus, but the new one is even better. The contrast and sharpness of the new image is better. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thanks Carlos

I was a little confused myself as I arranged the two photos together, old with new, to discover that this new one is accurate color, as most of the newer images are tending toward too blue with the blue filtered lights that my friend photographed them through. I am having to slightly adjust in Photoshop to reduce the over-blued new images.

I'm glad that you noticed that the newer images are sharper. The difference alone in memory is phenomenal. The old raw images stored in TIF files from my small Sony camera are only 1.5 MB where the newer images from the 35mm Sigma camera are TIF files up to 15 MB, apparently accounting for much more detail in the final image.

I will be looking at that post that Dr Paul Deister of Germany alerted me to where many of you ironically discussed the stereo imaging process a while back; as I was traveling and had missed it.

I plan on doing something more involved with stereo images in greater detail, say of the moon to start.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics