• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

Most of the links in the "Collection of Sketching Forum's 'How To' Threads" can't be found? It leads to an archive search which doesn't turn up any of the 'how to' articles either. Unless I am doing something wrong. :confused: Has anyone else seen this? Or, are they archived and I'm not using the archive search correctly... :question:

#2 DC869

DC869

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest, USA

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing. Hopefully someone will see this and point us in the right direction. I'd really like to preview these tutorials; heard they're really helpful.

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Actually they are not broken, they are archived. Just click on the link and then where it says archived click on that and it will take you to the original post. You cannot respond to it anymore but the information is still there.

Perhaps an explanation is needed in that thread or threads like it?

#4 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Jay, thanks so much! I got it. :)

What happened was I clicked the first link to the archive and the forum background turns a light blue so I assumed I was in the archive. Then, when I clicked the next link it gave me yet another archive link and I thought to myself "wait, I'm already IN the archive." So, I didn't pursue it further.

Turns out if you just keep following that archive link, you do eventually get to the tutorial. :cool:

By the way, I like your blog. I'm thinking of starting one myself. :waytogo:

Thanks Jay!

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Seems like this is a new thing. Perhaps when they took the site down for that day... :question:

#6 DC869

DC869

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest, USA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hey, JayinUT
Thanks for your help. (newbie here... still finding my way around the site...) I just finished browsing the archive tutorials and have found a ton of stuff to get me started. Appreciate your quick response.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Jay and all

I am not new but possibly only middle aged in CN, yet I still struggle with finding things, so thanks for describing the process to the links. I reviewed some old tutorials but could not find the one where Rich Handy shows the step by step of a large lunar sketch with his easel and sketching equipment. I believe that it is a real inspiration for others to see his process. Does that link still exist?

Now I want to see your blog that others have mentioned.
Where do I find that?

Thanks again,

Mark

#8 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Rich Handy's Tutorial

I hope that works (and I hope it is the one Mark is referring to) - I'm not overly fond of navigating the "archives". :flame:

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Eric

That is yet another one I have not seen. So I enjoyed it too. But the one I am referring to is a whole moon sketch that Rich shows attaching the large black pastel paper to his easel. It has a photo multiblock image like a comic strip blocked with many images in one window; then a step by step break down explaining each step in successive windows.

I have not seen it for awhile, but think that others would benefit from Rich's great organizational example in this tutorial. Something, by the way I have never attained as yet. I hope to get there soon! I mean to that level of organization, once I arrive on a new home! :question: :cool:

Mark

#10 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hmmm. The one you speak of may not have made it into the "How To" section. If anyone finds a link to it post it here.

I am working on cleaning up the mess with the links - the first layer of links in Tom's post have been adjusted so they should take you directly to the post. Unfortunately many of those just lead to other lists - so bear with me please, while I attempt to get our tutorials back into some semblance of working order....

#11 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thanks again Eric

I'm sure that I can speak for the rest when I say that your efforts here are greatly appreciated. I had forgotten that you are responsible for organizing all this.

Sorry if I made more unforeseen work for you; I'll try to find some of the old tutorials and direct you and/or others to the location addresses, if that helps. I have to leave for the day but will continue later tonight.

-Mark

#12 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Okay folks, I've broken out the individual categories into a series of following posts. Each link has been updated and should lead directly to the archived tutorial.

Linky

As you can see there are number of tutorials which I was unable to recover both onsite and off. If you find any of these "missing links" please drop me a PM with the correct url's and I'll update the list.

I hope this helps...

#13 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

Eric,

Well done and thank you! That must have taken some effort and time and your efforts on behalf of anyone who searches the archives for this thread is appreciated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics