What I've Been Seeing Lately

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

Below is a post of what I've been seeing lately. I call this Vega in LP Clouds. I guess I deserve it with 3 weeks off right now I can't buy a cloudless night. Watch, next week I'll have clear skies around the full moon killing my Herschel hunt . . . at least I could see something naked eye . . .

A digital image done in GIMP.

Posted Image

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

Jay,

I am sorry that you have been experiencing so much cloud cover (as I have also in South Florida) but that it a wonderful rendering in Gimp of Vega popping out through the clouds. I hope that your skies allow you to observe soon.

Carlos

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• Loc: S. Philadelphia, PA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

Nicely done, Jay.

We had a temperate, 70 degree night last night with clear skies, but the city was lit up for the Dodgers/Phillies game, and all I could see from the street was a beautiful pairing of a blimp and Jupiter. Would have been a great night to sketch, but pulling my scope out while the block was partying would have appeared a little too... disconnected from my neighbors. Nice night for a game too! - j

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Jay and Carlos. Just goes to show that there are other things to do on those "cloudy nights." Congrats on the Phillies, hope they win it all again.

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

Yeah Jay I know your pain. let's all start cloud sketching.

#6 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Yeah Jay I know your pain. Let's all start cloud sketching. :roflmao:

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Jay

Very nice rendering. :bow: :bow: :bow: Even though it is mostly clouds; you could start a Cloudy Forum! :bawling: :question: :tonofbricks:

I just found your blog, very informative and enjoyable. I'll spend more time reading as time allows.

Mark

#8 Hrundi

Hrundi

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Estonia

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Lovely sketch. I hope you don't mind that I took it and updated it a bit to reflect my own situation :)

Attached Files

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:41 AM

Jay,

Very nice sketch of Vega. I can identify with your frustration. I would say it would be a good bet your sky will be clear the night of full moon. :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#10 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

We're moving so I have internet here that the new home so thanks to everyone who posted a reply! I have updates to the blog, both audio and sketches as I have been hitting a dark site and going through the Herschel galaxies in Pegasus! Some real gems are to be found there! Anyway, we move on Wednesday so hopefully next weekend I can post a couple of sketches here and update my blog.

On a side note if anyone does the Herschel 400 list, I am finding my enjoyment went down for observing because on some objects I felt like I had to rush to get through the list. It made me reflect on my observing and realize that though I have improved over the last year, and I am by far in no league with most of you on this forum, I really do enjoy sketching because it makes me slow down and forces to me enjoy the object I'm looking at. So now I am sketching more in the Herschel 400 (though some just can't really be sketched IMO!) and that has made it more fun. If that means two years to complete that project, not biggie. I have plenty of time.

Thanks for letting me clear my head! Now back to moving (ugh!).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics