11 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

Posted Image

I hope I am not boring any of you with these year old repeats. This was my personal favorite to date last Nov 9 ’08 of the moon. It was also the largest lunar disc at 15 inches that I attempted to sketch up to that date in under 2 ½ hours; with a break of a 4 hours at mid evening due to clouds and rain. The rushed haste to dodge clouds caused me to be quick and impressionistic so it is rough in surface areas but I think I got the terminator close to accurate. None of the surface was cleaned or altered in Photoshop of smudging or smears as you can see, especially the black space background. This sketch was produced on 19”X 25” Strathmore Artagain paper. I later added the text to the lower right area since the original photo was taken last November as someone later called for text info to be written on the sketches. The new photo was cropped to enlarge the lunar disc as much as possible for CN viewing.

What follows are two additional sets, one set has close-up insets of the region from Tycho to Mare Humorum comparing each old and new photos. The other set is to show an anomalous or apparent stereo 3~D. The new photo shows the actual chalk color overlaying and underpainting especially in the mare regions. Rich was right in that post about producing and viewing 3~D , you have to use a little crossed eyed technique, but relax and don’t fight it! It actually works! :pulpdnc: :iwhat: :crazyeyes: :rockon: :blackeye:

-Mark :cool:

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

Posted Image

I should point out that these two above are only for comparison of the new and old photographic images and not intended for 3~D Stereo imaging, as the close-up inset thumbnails do not properly line up for the stereo imaging. *The stereo image would be in the following third window below. >

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

Posted Image
To properly see 3~D, adjust eyes about 12 inches from the screen, relax the eyes to gently cross *or focus beyond the page to the distance in the room, then hold that focus and move the eyes to the screen; a third image will appear to the right. Then continue to focus on the center [3~D] image of the three. -M :cool:

#4 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

Hi Mark,

this moon above is my absolute favorite. This is an ART-MASTERPIECE wich schould be framed to be an eye-catcher in a living or buisiness room. It would be a challenge for all visitors to see the 3D effect. This will open the visitors mind. Respect and my personal congratulations. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Paul

I'm glad you like it.

I need to consider someone to make full size quality prints soon of a few of my original images. As soon as I determine the actual printing process.

Mark

#6 Mickey

Mickey

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:59 AM

Mark, your Moon sketch is amazing and is truly a work of art. Great work!!!

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

Mark,

It is difficult to see the subtle colors of the moon at the eyepiece even though we know they are there. This is a beautiful color sketch and the re-photo of this one is great. I can see why you like the best. :cool: :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

Mickey and Frank

Thank you again. Glad you enjoyed it. I produced another sketch six days after this one last November. That was the 'Moon Illusion', It too was re-photographed awhile back but I had not re-posted as yet. So I just put that up moments ago for your inspection.
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

The title of illusion was originally sketched to render the known effect of the moon illusion when the lunar disc is seen low on the horizon near terrestrial objects [architecture here]; that effect is further added to now with the displaying of the new with the old image for a slight 3D effect.

Mark

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Mark,

Very nice sketches :cool:.

I tried to see it in 3-D but it did not work for me.

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Mickey

Mickey

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

WOW!!!! The 3D effect is really cool. I've never seen anything sketched rendered in a 3D effect before.

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Mark,

This is also my favorite lunar sketch of yours. You have recorded the craters, shadows, and lunar maria perfectly. The new images showcase the observation even better than before. Thank you for sharing these images with us all.

Carlos

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

NightSkyGazer, Mickey and Carlos

Thanks again.

NightSkyGazer- This 3D thing is really a little overdone lately as I see more new movies coming out with it aside from many books in stores now with many Stereo 3D images.

The process to produce the image differs in some cases. The true 3D photography is done with two cameras mounted on a bar rack with the cameras spaced at least a foot or two apart so as to simulate each of thge eyes differing perspective as in the human head. This was how the original Sawyer’s Viewmaster viewers worked with two photographic slides viewed through a binocular-like instrument. Those were originally made here in Portland Oregon in the mid 20th century, later to become the GAF Viewmaster. The century older version was a simple double image on a printed card also photographed with a dual camera. It was viewed with am eye separator, like horse-blinders. Those still show up as actual collectors items from the early 20th century in antique stores today.

The slightest perspective difference in recording each of the images creates the three dimensional effect in the brain when both photos are reviewed side by side and especially when the viewer uses a technique called the “cross-eyed” method. (Each photo image has a slightly differing perspective from each camera used. You can look at each in close detail of the actual 3D photography [as one below here of the artist shows.] This disturbs some people at first as they complain that they are hurting their eyes or getting dizzy. I’m sorry but like they say, if it hurts, you’re doing it wrong! (; You are simply trying too hard. Once you learn how to do this, it becomes second nature. It’s possible that those with corrective lenses might find it easier to learn as we are used to refocusing our eyes so often due to the eyeglasses off and on again. I am terribly nearsighted and without bi-focals so I need to pull my glasses forward about 10 inches ahead of my eyes toward the screen to help.

It does take some training, and as I say, some people do not know how to relax. It’s really about relaxing the eyes, determining the proper distance from the screen [and that is also essentail] and this is my instruction: DO NOT force your eyes to an extreme crossed feeling. Simply look across the room a slight ways, just enough to focus on a slightly distant object. Then hold that focus if you can; keep it and then gaze at the screen without re-focusing. Our intuition is a habit to try to re-focus constantly, so do not for a change. We have to learn to break habits. Once you see the screen out of focus and a double image in front of you, adjust your distance from the screen back or forth a little and relax, keeping your eyes centered, slightly crossed and you will see a third image emerge. For me it emerges to the right; then the center new third image becomes the stereo 3D image. Stay focused on that central image and do not try to shift your gaze to the outside other images. Stay focused on the new emerging image at center and it will eventually solidify into a three dimensional appearance. Maybe right or left eye dominant varies with each person. As the eyes focus on those new 3D images a few times, the eye muscles and your brain will retain this focus memory again next time. It is like anything; typing, riding a bike, roller skating, reading, writing, etc. Practice makes perfect. The brain will remember.

There are other processes to create these images (someone posted a dated thread here awhile back where many discussed the process and proposed that others try to create star field sketches with DSO's in 3D but I forgot where that post is now- will someone re-post that?) but the other method involves a contrasted and offset special color printing process in each of the two images; one image with red high lights and one with green. The effect you see above here is not really a true stark 3D example. It is but merely a slight position difference in some parts of one image compared to the other differing a little. So this creates a weak version of 3D. Here is an actual dual camera photo in real 3D image for your practice session> *It is not the art that is necessarily 3D here but the standing figure and surrounding field - Remember when it happens, you will see three images- stay focused on the middle third image. A friend of mine has an entire web site of beautiful 3D images taken in landscape photography all taken in the Portland Oregon region. >
http://www.pbase.com...ussi/stereo_fun

– Good luck -Mark >
Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics