sketch books

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

• Loc: beachwood ohio

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

what kind of sketch books have the black background. what are some recommended sketch books. thanks.

#2 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

The only sketching book I know of is the:

Astronomical Sketching: A Step-by-Step Introduction
Richard Handy et al.

I'd personally just browse the internet for good tutorials and tips for sketching.

/Jake

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

Scott,

Are you asking about a book on sketching (Jake answered that) or are you asking about types of sketching pads where you can sketch?

#4 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

both

#5 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:11 AM

I don't know of any bound black paper sketch books myself. What I use is the heaviest black pastel paper I can find. (I usually sketch on the smooth back side, leaving the textured side for more artistic images) I cut the paper to 8x10" so they will fit inside a clear plastic sheet protector, and store the sketches in a 3-ring binder. I know there are many more options these days, but I'm a old dog. I can tell you that some of my sketches are 25+ years old and the sheet protector/binder has kept them looking like new.

#6 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

You can get black paper sketchbooks here (UK) in any art shop so I am guessing that the same is true for the USA (I see you are in Ohio) as well. Try your local art or hobby shop.

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I have some black-paper spiral-bound sketch books (from Daler-Rowney) but I'm not terribly happy with the paper in them. (It's a little to rough and not quite black enough.) My favorite black paper (by far) is Strathmore Artagain, which comes in pads, but not spiral-bound (or hard-bound) sketch books.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:31 AM

Scott

Black Strathmore Artagain (also called 400 Series) comes in 9" X 12" bound tablets or 'pads' of 24 sheets. This is fine for small to medium sized field sketching, however, the pages eventually come loose from the binding glue. Strathmore and Canson also make a spiral bound pad or tablet but not with smooth paper like the 400 Series Artagain and I have never understood why. Canson has a rice paper protective sheet spiral bound between each pastel sheet to protect the sketches from smearing.

As Jeff mentions, England [and Europe may have other products.]

I for one have moved up to large paper sheets because I like the large free area and larger sketching to include more image in detail. So there are many other pastel paper brands, including Strathmore and Canson that make this larger size such as 19" X 25" or Stonehenge makes a 100% black cotton fiber cold pressed in 22" X 30" sheets to as near as smooth as Artagain for about $2.65 per sheet at many art supply stores. The two sides of longer length at 30" are not clean cut but appear as a torn edge called 'Deckled' edge. Strathmore Artagain is made from 30% Post Consumer Waste Fiber and cold pressed to near butcher paper smooth (also quite inexpensive) where Stonehenge is 100% cotton fiber and pressed nearly as smooth as the Strathmore Artagain but the Stonehenge product is considered a fine artists paper for serious work yet at a reasonable price price per sheet at $2.65. Do not let this deter you. A finer paper (or 100% cotton) product can render a finer image. I discovered the Stonehenge by accident as the large local art supply store in Portland, Art Media was out of Strathmore Artagain one day; a young lady worker in the store suggested the Stonehenge. This is yet another great information source; visit the art supply stores in your area; many of the workers wll be knowledgeable artists that can help you find the products you are searching. Some may be well practiced artists and can inform you of the entire art product lines well.

I accidentally discovered an Italian paper, Fabriano brand, that is 40% cotton fiber in 19” X 25” sheets at $1.65 per sheet but it has an embossed texture to simulate a fine linen or oil painting canvas. I found it too coarse as compared to the Stonehenge or Artagain. Everyone develops a personal favorite but most astronomy sketchers seem to like Strathmore Artagain for its smoothness which allows an ease for blending and its affordable price. Here is a post that I showed the texture of the Fabriano paper in a sketch of the Moon with the crater Plato and astronauts walking on the moon and toward the bottom, the Strathmore Ridge Series paper in rich blue for a Moon with Saturn sketch that I discovered the heavily embossed texture of the indented lines which was an accident and not really desired. >
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

I’ll post a close-up of the Stonehenge paper soon, a new photo of older dated work. The texture in some papers is favored by certain artists as that texture ‘holds’ the chalk pigment as an oil canvas holds the paint. It depends on the effects of the pastel chalk, charcoal or Conte Crayon that you are attempting to achieve in image on certain textures of paper.

http://www.strathmor...eArt_pastel.php
http://www.legionpap...m/The-Mills.htm
http://cleveland-oh....t_Supplies.html
http://www.misterart...tagain-Pads.htm

Hope this helps,

Mark

#9 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

THanks Mark, I am going to go to some art stores on Friday and see what they have. Otherwise, I will just order online.

#10 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

Scott --

If you end up online, www.dickblick.com has a pretty complete selection of stuff.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics