Photo

A Return Visit to Maurolycus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

A Return Visit to Maurolycus

Among the craters in the southern highlands this large walled plain crater (115 km.) really stands out. Seeing this crater on the sunrise terminator was all the motivation I needed to attempt a sketch. The atmosphere was somewhat turbulent so I keep the magnification in the medium range.
I drew this crater back in late July of 2008 when it was illuminated by a higher sun at the waning gibbous phase. As I continued to sketch, the central peak of this crater began to catch the rising sun, and I immediately recalled a beautiful sketch of this crater under similar lighting made by Rich Handy back in 2006 or there about.
Just above Maurolycus which would be south in the sketch, the dark crescent seen is a partial remnant of a more ancient crater than the old Nectarian period Maurolycus. The outer wall of this crater and its partner to the south, south east Barocius (83 km.) stand tall and steep more than 4 kilometers above the floor.

Sketching:

For this sketch I used: black Strathmore 400 Artagain paper 9”x12”, white and black Conte’ pastel pencils and a blending stump. After scanning, Brightness was decreased (-3) and contrast increased (+2) using Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Telescope: 10 inch f/ 5.7 Dobsonian and 8 mm eyepiece 181 x
Date: 10-24 to 10-25-2009, 10:40-12:05 UT
Temperature: 13° C (55° F)
Partly Cloudy, calm
Seeing: Antoniadi III-IV
Colongitude 347.1 °
Lunation 6.75 days
Illumination 40.2 %

Frank McCabe :)

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:41 AM

Frank

Another beautiful close-up crater sketch :bow: :bow: :bow:
One of theses days I'll move closer to doing one like yours and Rich's.

We have had only brief moments of the moon showing for the past week, with constant on again ~ off again rain showers but I am contented to see your sketches as a consolation!

Keep up the good work,

Mark

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Awesome sketch of Maurolycus and environs Frank! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: This highland region is dense with overlapping craters and your capture does justice to its complex beauty. One of the things I love about the scene you drew is the way Barocius' wall is tangent to the southern wall of Maurolycus. I've always enjoyed this close feature association. Absolutely wonderful sketch Frank! :waytogo:

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Mark and Rich,

Thank you both for your fine words.:thanx:
I was very surprised to see the sky clear off Saturday evening and when I got set up to observe and sketch the moon, I was hoping to zero in on craters in western Mare Tranquillitatis. At high magnification the atmospheric seeing was very poor and Maurolycus was tugging at my sleeve like an impatient youngster.
The view of this crater near the terminator is always pleasing.

Frank :)

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Frank,

That's a nice sketch. :ooo:

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

Frank,

An excellent observation of Maurolycus. You have captured this interesting crater in shadow very nicely. I also like to return to view this crater myself. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

http://www.cloudynig...rt=7&thecat=500

Carlos

#7 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

great sketch of this busy crator and luna territory, way to take advantage of this brief clear night sky.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Tom, Carlos and T5,

Thank for your kind words about my sketch of opportunity.:thanx:
If you ever catch this crater on the sunrise terminator (waxing crescent) and the floor is a total black well with the rim illuminated, stay with it because you will soon see the appearance of the bright, highest central peak. It is an awesome sight with this and several other large walled plain craters.
--
Carlos, I remember this sketch you made back in Febuary of 2007. You really did a great job on the cetral peaks and shadows. I did one the next year with the sun still higher.
That is your sketch first then mine.

Attached Files

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Frank,

Wonderful capture of Maurolycus, and I enjoy viewing the shadows and contrasts in your sketch.

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Jay,

Thank you. :thanx:

By the way that is a good video clip you have of John Dobson doing his Sidewalk Astronomy in SF on your Blog.
The folks that didn't stop to look don't know what they missed.

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

Frank,

I am impressed as to the agreement between our observations of Maurolycus (even though the lighting conditions were different). I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#12 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

Dear Frank,

I missed you in the moon section. But now I found you here. Interesting sketches, as always!
I like your styl using white pencils.

#13 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Carlos and Uwe,

Thank you.
---
Carlos,
I know with a high degree of certainty that this sketch of mine from 2008 is a misshappen and somewhat inaccurate but I know yours from 2007 is not. It is fun to look at side by side sketches.
---
Uwe,

I do go over to the lunar forum each day but I don't like to post sketches there too often since this seems to be the place for sketches. It is good to see you back here and I really like your bold sketching style.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics