15 replies to this topic

#1 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

Name change time....
This WAS called "RCAIDcams & Mods".But after some months and the need for a website soon,I decided to change it to a name more fitting what I do..
The first and foremost thing I wish to convey to everyone is...
YES,we DO do DSLR filter modifications.I have modded nearly every model that Canon makes,and most of the Nikons as well.
The rates for MOST of Canon and Nikons models are as follows(and are hopefully not too hard to understand):
For me to:Remove the STOCK filter.Labor Price is $75+$7 for return shipping
For me to:Install a replacement filter,like the Baader Canon Series. Labor Price is $15(this is assuming that you send the filter along with the cam!!!)
So,if you want to get an XSi modded with the Baader Filter.And you supply the filter,Your TOTAL would be $97!!!!! that includes return shipping.
If you wish for me to purchase filter,then I would require that money in advance so I can order it and have it ready for when you ship the cam to me.I do NOT upcharge,or add ANYTHING to the cost of these filters.What I pay,is what you pay.I use AlpineAstro for all my Baader Filter needs.Good prices.
These prices are good for all Canons EXCEPT:40D,50D,5D,5DmII,7D,1Ds,etc.
The price for these only goes up on the initial "removal fees". The prices are:
$90(+$8 return shipping) for 30D,40D,50D.Same $15 charge for installing a replacement filter..
$145(+$10 return shipping) for the 5D.Charge to install a replacement filter =$20(Model FAC3)
$155(+$10 return shipping) for the NEW 7D!!Charge to install a replacement Filter(Model FBCF-400D)
$165(+$10 return shipping) for the 5DmII.Charge for installing a replacement filter=$20(Model FAC3)

Replacement filters are additional:
#FACF1.Baader DSLR ACF I Filter, rectangular (unmounted) Astro Conversion Filter, 26.9x19.5x2.7mm) for Canon EOS300D $99+$8shipping
#FACF2.Baader DSLR ACF II Filter, rectangular (unmounted) Astro Conversion Filter, for Canon EOS350D/10D/20D/30D $114+$13shipping
#FACF3.Baader DSLR ACF III Filter, rectangular (unmounted) Astro Conversion Filter, for Canon 5D,and 5DmII.$129+13 for shipping
#FBCF-400D.Baader DSLR BCF Filter, rectangular (unmounted) Astro Conversion Filter, for Canon EOS 400XTi (400D, 40D, 450D, 50D, 1000D/Rebel XS/T1i),and ALSO the NEW 7D!!!$88+$8 for shipping
These prices are for illustrative purposes only..I would check with Alpine Astro before ordering.

I do not do these mods to make a living.I do these mods because I love working with digital cameras. I have experience.I have many satisfied customers.If you really do need verification that I have done your model before,just ask.I would be more than willing to provide some names(as long as they dont mind,of course..).
I would love to have your business.
I do not keep my prices low to "cut down the legends"..I have low prices because that is what I think they are worth..what I would pay for one. I dont see me being able to justify it to myself that making $100-$200 an hour is okay...I am not a world renowned TV evangelist..or some other crazyiness like that..
I just think people deserve a quality Mod for thier beloved camera,done by someone with enough experience,and the will to make it the best possible service and experience,for you,that I can give..

Okay,enough already with the used carsalesman speech...lol
I just get a lot of emails asking me if we do filter mods..
YEP.I sure do!!!!

OKAY,
Now,time for the main attraction.THis is a service that will be available soon(knock on wood).I am going to post this because I really need the wonderful,and extremely knowledgeable,people of this community's opinion on several yet to be finalized components.More on that later...

First,
For those who do not know what a Hyper Mod is..it is the taking of an everyday DSLR(preferably by Canon,as most would agree..) and convert it into a Peltier cooled OSC Astro Cam.
SO,
Let me start with the obvious...:
Noise. Noise is the bain of Digital Photography. Digital Sensors create an image out of electrons,but the circuitry of these digital cams can create heat/or noise in the image. Typically,the longer the exposure,the more noise,since the noise just keeps building for every moment the sensor is being used.. And,in astro imaging,long exposures are key to getting the most signal.But this builds noise.

Well,WHAT TO DO?

So,enter the Astronomical Camera. These are very sensitive instruments that use cooling elements to keep the noise at bay. Typically,these cameras are VERY expensive. Most people can not afford cameras of this caliber..that is why people use the much cheaper,but still very sensitive,DSLR.

So,what would the next logical step be for progressing in this hobby?
If you move past the abilities of a DSLR,but cannot afford the price of a dedicated Astro camera...why not cool the DSLR?

Enter the "HyperMod".
There are many levels of this idea.Some simply wrap thier DSLR in ice packs. Others simply put there DSLR in homemade "cooler boxes". While these are very good ideas...the are not the most efficient,nor are they creating that much of a difference in the sensor's temperature.

So,I and several others out there have started building "HyperCams".
Some are simply puting a "cold finger" behind the sensor. The other end is connected to a Peltier device(TEC),this draws the heat out of an object and through the peltier to a heatsink of some kind. Some maintain the use of the stock camera housing.Others,like myself, have/are making a NEW housing for the camera electronics. Inside these new hoisings will be a Peltier device that will cool the sensor to a very workable state..some even below freezing.

My Mod will include a new housing.A cooling system that will deliver ~30degC(below ambient) temps. It will be operated by way of USB2.0 connections.It will be powered by way of a small/very manageable "power box".It will essentially,not allow noise/heat to build in the image.

For my mods I am taking the VERY popular Canon DSLR's and turning them into even better AstroImagers.

I will start with the lowest models.The XS,XSi,and T1i will all share the same housing.They will utilize slightly different frames,but the housing will be the same.

After I get these models out I will start on what I like to call "The Big One"...lol
I will be using the Full Frame CMOS sensors in the Canon 5DmII as the base for this VERY sensitive camera. It will be my biggest challenge in this venture..but will also be my finest work..
It will not be easy..but I cant wait till I can own a OSC 35mm Format Cooled Astro Cam.

The housings and frames will all be made of high grade aluminum. The back plate will act as the heat sink.And a fan,or two smaller fans,will be mounted to this backplate. This will allow the Peltier,inside the cam,to dissipate the heat more efficiently,and will allow for even more cooling performance.

This is about where I run out of things to bring up... :blah:
I love to talk "shop",so worst case scenario when you call to speak with me you might end up talking for 30minutes or more..lol

Thanks so much for reading this excrutiatingly looooong post!!!!

Any questions feel free to ask.
I have a Blog as well that I will be uploading images soon to.I will use it primarily to allow people to keep up with my prgress in this venture.
I will continue to post updates on here as well.But the Blog will have more info and tech specs...
Blog here: http://hyperdslr-mods.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much!!
Brent Oliver
One Man Show :lol:
HyperCams & Mods
nofxrx@aol.com
(321)-720-8222 Cell

#2 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

Alright, I have an announcement to make.

Hyper Modded XS is ~75% complete.(This is basically the same design for the XSi as well.The T1i will require a slightly different frame,but will fit in the same XS,XSi housing.)
I have laid out all the components for the cam inside the housing,also the power supply box is nearly complete.It is bigger than the Cam housing,but then again,the cam housing is smaller than I thought it would be...
Here it is compared to a dollar bill..
I should be ready to start testing the TEC cooling system by this weekend hopefully.And I am shooting for a FIRST LIGHT run by the of November,or early December.
I am having spinal surgery on the 10th of December and will be out of comission for quite some time..which is why I would like to get as much done as possible in the next few weeks...

ALSO,note for ALL filter Mods:
I have to raise Shipping prices due to me paying outrageous amounts to ship to Cali and other western states.
SO,anything west of the Mississippi is going to be $15 shipping.and anything on the west coast will be $20.
That is for USPS Priority Insured shipping!

ALSO,I have ONE 350D(also 10D,20D,30D)Baader Filter in stock. Alpine Astro is OUT OF STOCK of these.Just in case anyone wants thier 350D modded....

Here is the housing pics

Attached Files

#3 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Alright....It is almost time to unveil the NEW and improved HyperMod design....
NOW CALLED THE HyperChilled Mod.

It is COMPLETELY different from anything you have seen...
It will look completely STOCK!!!!!!
It will have two small hose fittings coming out of the cam in a very convenient place....YEP,you guessed it...it will be LIQUID COOLED!!!!!!
Most high end computer components are all getting liquid coolers to keep heat down on these sensitive electronic devices....CCD's will be right behind.

It will have a fully self contained liquid pump,resevoir,radiator,TEC chillers,etc.....it will be easy to start,control,use...
It will not require a laptop to use the cam..
It will have VERY low power consumption..either with AC or DC power,your choice.

It will deliver +35deg C cooling below Ambient.
There will even be a slightly more expensive option that will be Temperature controlled!!!
It will have several other COOL options..
You can use the cam for daytime imaging with any lenses and it will function perfectly since I am including the Baader replacement filter mod for every HyperChilled model....

How about these ideas?
What do you guys think?

I know,I know..you want to see the product and specs and prices....
Trust me,I am close...It WILL be soon!!!

Please keep an eye out for more updates as I will be unveiling the finished product soon.

I just recieved my new XS that will be the new prototype.so production should start soon for it.

I know some people do not like the idea of liquid cooling an expensive camera....trust me.it will be 100% safe.It will be warranteed against any defects/problems..

I am designing the kit to fit inside a small Pelican case so you can just set it next to your tripod,plug it in,fit the hoses,and start shooting.....easy as 1,2,3!!

I cant wait to show you all my creation...it will be very cool.
I am looking to help DSLR users get more image out of thier imaging.

Thanks to all for reading this....and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Clear Skies!!!!

#4 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

I am running a NEW YEARS Special SALE on ALL CANON,and Nikon model MODS!!!!!This is for any model that costs LESS than $1k for the Body...i.e.:7D,D700,5D,5DmII,etc ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THESE SALE PRICES,PLEASE contact me for these prices(which ARE still reduced from normal prices****See top post for all normal prices****

Baader Conversion(with supplied filter by you!!) $85 INCLUDING SHIPPING back to you!!!!!!

Simple Stock Filter Removal= $65 shipped back to you!!!!!

These prices will not last long...I dont have an end date yet...it will be based on the volume of orders!!!

On another note
I have ONE Baader 350D,10D,20D,30D (FACB-3 IIRC) filter in stock and ready for your cam.

Contact me through PM here.or at DSLR_HyperCams@Yahoo.com

Clear skies!!!!!

btw,for other models(Pentax,Sony,Fuji,etc,basically all "Non Commercial AP imagers" cost as follows
Normally:$145 for stock filter removal,including return shipping
SALE PRICES: $115 including return shipping!!!!

If you wish to have me do a clear filter mod,I will need some lead time so I can order the Edmunds glass and will require more time with your cam since I need it to measure the stock filter so I can replace it with something VERY similar to stock sizes so AF will be as close as possible...

Make sense?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

NEW SERVICE AVAILABLE!!!!

Announcing the new Meade DSI-LIGHT TEC Mod:

~20degC cooling below ambient

Small-low power-7V 2000ma-power supply

No fan vibrations with most systems

No fogging issues,even in high humidity situations.

Even after hours of useage,there was NO fogging ever,and this is in FLORIDA!!! We live in 90%humidity 90% of the year!!
If requested I will completely seal the entire unit with clear silicone for better fogging/dew prevention.This gaurantee is only possible however with the nosepieces like the Color versions,and with either a filter installed on the NP,or the stock IR filter/gasket type installed under NP..

This Mod(and the HEAVY version below) is for ANY of the 6 model Meade DSI's(gen I to III,Color or Mono).I will take the stock Pro NosePiece and make it a flush mount like the color,for dew prevention with a filter installed on the NP.No charge for this.

PRICE:$165 including shipment back to you(IN CONUS)

Includes all parts needed.labor.and power supply for TEC and Fan.

ALSO available for those NOT faint at heart...
A larger,more powerful,HEAVY TEC MOD:

Gauranteed 35-40degC cooling below ambient.

This Mod will require good sealing of the entire cam,and the use of a dessicant system to gaurantee no fogging/dewing issues.

This mod is still in development,but near complete.and will look exactly like the smaller mod,except this one will have a larger fan(12v instead of 7v),and a better heatsink(not using just the back plate as the heatsink).

PRICE:$325 including shipping!!

CHEERS!!!!

Any questions just email at
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
Or PM me here on CN!!

Here is an image of the finished prototype DSI Gen I color with the Light Weight TEC Mod!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

UPDATE
Sale prices are no longer in effect. Prices are at the very top of the page for nearly every model.
Again,if you do not see your model,or have any questions,just contact me and I will get back with you ASAP!

Thanks!

#7 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I should also update that I have updated my Email to a business dedicated line..
It is mentioned a few posts ago..
but the AOL one is still active,but is pretty much just a spam email keeper now..I get hundreds of emails through that site..

This one WILL get in touch with me!!
Take care!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
(321)720-8222

#8 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

[b]The time has come...
The time for relying on one or two vendors to supply us with the needed IR blocking replacement filters for our Canon XS,XSi,T1i,T2i,7D IS OVER!!!!

I have found a comparable,actually a better quality filter, from Astronomik. It is an IR block filter,or Luminance Filter,it is readily available,can be ordered from dozens of vendors,NOT JUST TWO OR THREE like with the Baader's, and it is the exact same thickness as the stock filter..AF WILL BE PERFECT!!! GAURANTEED!!!!

SO...if you have an XS,XSi,T1i,T2i,or 7D you have been wanting to mod,or get modded...look no further..
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!!!

Prices for:
Stock filter removal:$75(same as at the top)
Replacement Filter installation Labor:$25
Filter Costs:$100

TOTALS IS $200(+$15 return shipping)

If you are interested,please PM me here...or contact info below!

Thanks for everything,and take care!!
Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
(321)720-8222

#9 KevinUK

KevinUK

Vendor (DSLR-AstroMod)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: N 51'50 W 00'28

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

Brent, no offense I've been offering the Astronomik L-clip solution for nearly 2 years!!

Its hardly new :)

#10 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Kevin.no offense.but I am not offering the CLIP IN filter you are reffering to.Anyone can buy those from nearly dozens of vendors aroung the globe...

I am talking about a specialized Canon/Nikon DIRECT FILTER REPLACEMENT!
It is BRAND NEW,never even advertised before...
This is a direct filter replacement for the INTERNAL stock Canon filters...JUST like the Baader filters..except now,we have another venue to look at instead of waiting 6 months for Baader to get thier act together..

Cheers!!

#11 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Now is a good time to advertise the OTHER source of IR Block filters for the Canon or Nikon APS-C sized DSLR's.
It is $65 for the filter,and $25 for install fees.With the stock filter removal fees,and return shipping,you ar elooking at a Total of $175 for this option!

this filter from Edmunds optics is ONLY available by ME installing it in your cam.I will not order this filter for you to do your own mod..
THe ONLY reason for this,is because the filters come in a square size,not exact sizes for the DSLR...SO,I have to trim this filter,just like the clear glass from Edmunds.
It is also a HAIR thicker.This does NOT affect AF AT ALL!!!!
I have confirmed these equations with Don from AstroDon!!!

If you are interested in having your DSLR modded RIGHT NOW with Baader/Astronomik from a reliable company like Edmunds Optics with thier quality IR block filters,just ask.
Only a 1 week lead time for the filters(which I order ahead of time).and a 2 day turn around for the mod!!!

Just another step I am taking to provide the ametuer community with options OTHER than waiting months for the Baader filters to get back in stock!

Cheers!

#12 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey Guys!!!
I have some incredible news. I have brokered a deal with Edmunds Optics, and have gotten them to make for me a custom filter with the EXACT same measurements as the stock Canon Filter in the 400D(similar Baader filter=FBCF-400D).

IT IS NEARLY HERE,DIRECT FILTER REPLACEMENTS FOR Canon XS/XSi/400D/etc...GET IN LINE NOW!!!

This new filter comes straight from a VERY reputable company,Edmunds Optics.
It is a direct replacement for the Canon DSLR's that take the FBCF-400D Baader filter.
Models,
400D,450D,500D,550D,1000D,40D,50D,and the new 7D!!!!
It is a direct replacement made from HIGH Quality Schott Kg1 Glass w/IR Blocking coatings.
It has nearly 95% transmissions accross the visible spectrum,and at 656nm(Ha) it has an amazing 88% transmission!

I am taking pre-orders for this filter...they should only be several weeks away,not months like the "other guy's" filters..

Price for filter is $75 plus $7 shipping in CONUS,or $12 Internationally.

Please use email brentiferolivarius@yahoo.com for all Paypal orders,please add 3% if using Paypal with CC.

Contact info:
HyperCams & Mods
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
Brent Oliver
977 Spring Street NW
Palm Bay FL,32907
(321)720-8222

If you have ANY questions or concerns about this new filter for purchase..or would like me to modify your camera for better spectral response on DSO targets with this filter,or the cheaper IR block from Edmunds(listed in the previous post),or would like one of the many other options I offer,IR Pass Filter,Baader Filters,Astronomik,Clear Glass,etc.Please contact me however you like,phone or email.
I would be more than happy to work with you to get a great deal on a comparable filter for your DSLR mod.And would love the opportunity to do the mod for you!
I do everything in my power to make sure that the whole experience goes as smooth as possible for YOU!! And that you get the absolute best service,product for your hard earned $!!!
Thanks so much!

****If you are unfamiliar with this mod,just google the Baader Filter Mod and how much Ha signal is lost with the stock IR cut filters in DSLR cameras****

This is GREAT news people....NO MORE WAITING FOR BAADER to get thier act together.... :woohoo::jump:

#13 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

Sorry....JUST HEARD!!!
Prices for these filters is only $59+$7 shipping in CONUS!!!!!
:jump::jump::jump:

Just contact me if you would like to purchase one(or more).
I can expect to recieve these in the next 2-3weeks max!!!!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

#14 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

TEC MOD UPDATE!!!

I will perform a TEC mod that is similar to the various mods out there. It actually looks VERY similar to Central DS' mod...but MUCH cheaper!!!

Is uses a copper cold finger,as well as a LOW profile copper heatsink AND Fan for best possible thermal performance.
Will cool the SENSOR(temp is taken AT the sensor,NOT at the cold finger behind the TEC!!) 20-25DegC below Ambient.
Will NOT affect AF at all. A dual temp sensor is included,it is a Blue LED version and is mounted inside the power supply for the TEC mod(which can be set on your Pier,or table for accurate temp readings of Ambient temps)

Will provide permanent AC power for your camera with the use of the included Canon ACK-E5 AC Adapter($70 Value!!!And no more relying on Batteries.
Will be able to remove the TEC unit for near stock aesthetics during daytime use...

I will have pics up in the next two weeks!

****Best part****
******PRICE******

With the supply of your cam,price for the TEC mod is $499** +$20 return shipping(In CONUS!!!I will ship WORLDWIDE,but at YOUR expense!)
For an in stock model,just ask!!Prices will vary per model..but the mod is the same cost no matter what model you have(XS-XSi-T1i-T2i).
Turn around time is less than TWO WEEKS!!!!(Assuming all components are in stock at the time)

** This price does NOT include filter modification of your DSLR. If you would like this done at the same time as TEC mod,add $40 for my Labor costs,and the costs for your choice of filter used+install fees($65-Clear Glass with AR coatings,$65-IR blocking filter,these prices include the $20 install fee,or you can choose the Baader Filter.Prices for these are at the top of this very thread,but I can GAURANTEE that the IR Filter I supply is JUST as perfect for this mod as the Baader.It retains perfect AF,cuts off IR at 700nm,and has over 90% Ha transmissions!!!!!!And it is cheaper!!!)
This is a considerable discount from my already LOW filter mod prices!!!
If you have any questions or concerns,please PM me here,or email me,or call me.. :cool:

I would prefer to have half the money sent as a Paypal gift ~1-2weeks before your camera is shipped to me.This allows me to get all components ordered that I do not already have in stock..and some pieces(like the AC adapter,and other Power Supply parts) come from Hong Kong,or China..and take some time to get here.
Just contact me for an exact lead time and turn around time!

Thanks so much!!!!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
977 Spring Street NW
Palm Bay FL,32907
(321)720-8222

#15 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

I have added this "Temp Control" station to the Mod for free...
It displays the temp of two probes,1-mounted on the cold finger behind the sensor,and 2-mounted where it will get accurate ambient temps.
It also can control the RPMS of upto 2 different PC Fans. One will be on the TEC MOD on the Cam..which will allow user to clow down the fan some if they are having trouble with camera shake on slightly longer F/L setups.
The other controller will be allow you to adjust the temp inside the power supply in case the components get overheated.

It is a pretty nice unit.
It will actuallt mount in side the same housing as the TEC(15v) and Fan(12v) power supplies,with the proper ports and cords of course..
Below is the image of the unit!! Bad quality photo though..sorry..
It is a 3.5"(wide) Bay sized unit that is designed to be mounted inside a desktop PC...it is perfect for this application!! So it is a SMALL unit..could easily fit in your flat hand..

Just thought it would add a bit of user controlability on a "Non-regulated Active Cooling system"..

I will have pics of the mod up soon!!!

Cheers!!!

Attached Files

#16 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

Prices for my services have not been updated here on CN in a WHILE :tonofbricks:
PLEASE contact me for an accurate price list and available modification options!
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com
(321)720-8222

Clear skies! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics