Copernicus (October 28, 2009)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

I made an observation of Copernicus (9.7*N, 20.0*W) on October 28, 2009 (at 01:15 U.T.) using my 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain at 359x. I was able to make out an impressive amount of detail within and surrounding this large crater under average to good (5-7/10) seeing conditions. Copernicus lies over the eastern half of Oceanus Procellarum and is estimated to be 800 million years old formed during the Copernican Period. Copernicus has a diameter of approximately 58 miles (93 km) in diameter with a depth of 2.4 miles (3.8 km). The central peaks rise up to a height of ~3/4 (0.75) mile (1.2 km). The crater has terraced walls that rise ~0.6 mile (0.9 km) above the floor. The terrain surrounding Copernicus is complex and very interesting.

A digital image produced in Pixelmator.

Links;
http://en.wikipedia...._(lunar_crater)
http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap010513.html
http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap070616.html

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

Carlos,

That is a most excellent close-up sketch. :bow: The terraced inner wall and central peak with shadows are superb. You have also chosen good shades of gray color in your rendering. :cool:
It does look like it might be difficult to correct a mistake if you were to make one. I get the impression that you must continue to add and adjust colors as you sketch this way.
It is clear from the detail that the scope was performing well under good sky conditions. :cool:
Very nice. :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

Frank,

Thank you for the compliment on my Copernicus observation. I have always observed this prominent crater on the Moon since I first looked at it through using a telescope decades ago, but I have never made a sketch of it before now. I do add layers in my renderings, as when using graphite or pastel, which develop the detail that I am observing. This requires adjusting sections of the drawing to better approximate what I am seeing. I was fortunate to have experienced good seeing conditions for my observation. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

Carlos,

The detail you captured here is just amazing! Talk about 3D in sketching, I think this nailed it for me. I enjoy the shadow as Frank mentioned, and really enjoyed looking at your sketch.

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

Beautiful sketch of Copernicus Carlos! :waytogo: I'm always amazed at how much detail you manage to render with such precision, you are truly a Master of digital sketching! You've even picked up on the variation in the floor's smoothness caused by the impact melt sheet being unevenly distributed. :bow:

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Jay and Rich,

Thank you both very much for the kind compliments on my Copernicus observation. This is such a fascinating crater with complex but interesting detail over it and the surrounding region. I am glad that I finally decided to tackle this impressive crater on the Moon.

Rich- I must admit that I have been inspired by talented observers such as yourself. You have produced excellent observations of Copernicus (and all other lunar targets) as well.

Carlos

#7 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Great sketch of this huge crator, very 3-D like we are in a helicopter looking down from a thousand feet bravo!

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

Tommy,

Thank you for the compliment on my Copernicus observation. I was lucky to have seen so much detail over the crater. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Carlos

An amazingly realistic digital sketch. :bow: :bow: :bow:
As Frank mentioned you got the shadows very accurate. It looks to me alsmost like making a live observation with a little wavering in the seeing conditions. I am very impressed with this particular piece of work by you.
It changes my mind considerably about digital sketching.
Now i just wish the clouds and rain would go away here in Portland! It's been non-stop rainfall all day and up to this evening. :bawling:

Thanks for sharing this art work and your extensive information enclosed.

Mark

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Mark,

Thank you for the compliment on my Copernicus observation. I am glad that my rendering is accurate as I was fortunate to have experienced good seeing conditions. Digital sketching is another form of media that we can employ to render what we observe at the telescope. Observations made using other media, such as pastel as you use, are also excellent for recording the Moon and planets (as well as DSO's). I have always been impressed with the fine renderings that you produce. I look forward to your future observations.

I hope that your weather in Portland improves soon in order for you to observe.

Carlos

#11 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Absolutely stunning Carlos. Wow! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#12 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Very subtle detail! Such excellent seeing is very rare here. I usually use 144x and 180x. I like especially the fine details at the teracced wall.

#13 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

Shannon and Uwe,

Thank you for the compliments on my Copernicus observation. Sorry for the delay but I have been away from my computer for the past two weeks. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics