• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Sometimes you feel irritable because you don't get enough sleep. How about not enough sky. Being deprived of your hobby makes one irritable. Well, it does me anyway. Longing for some sky, I saw a small break in the clouds and took it. Sitting at my newly constructed Mini-Observatory. With the moon at my back, it was soon to move behind the tree in my neighbors yard. The ever-bright Vega was glowing in Lyra. As the high haze of very thin clouds moved in they were almost foglike. I thought, "What the hell?!" This is usually when I pack it up. Like a lot of Florida nights cloudy is the norm. I didn't pack it up. I was determined to observe. I thought, "I wonder if I can see M 57?" I released the lever locks on my E-Q mount and spun my Maksutov towards the constellation(Lyra). Looked through my Telrad, and centered it between gamma & beta. Leaned over to the 25mm Plossl. I could see a small smoke ring through the white, silty sky. I can get closer. So I put in my 15mm Expanse Ep, and sketched. It seemed as I sketched, more milky clouds moved in, or they got brighter... or both. I was under the sky anyway... 5" Mak., 15mm Exspanse ep, HB pencil, Strathmore 400 series 60 lb paper, 102x mag, Inverted in Photoshop - levels for clouds & moon glow , 3 days before Halloween and its 80 degrees at night. Hot and sticky. YUCK!! :bawling:

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Shannon,

An excellent observation of the Ring Nebula (M57), especially under the conditions that you observed under. I am attempting to make observations under the same skies as you. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#3 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

That's a unique view of M57, I'm glad you sketched it! I know how our Florida skies can be. When I was sketching M57 earlier this month I contended with some thicker marine-clouds that were inbound. It was unusual because as I was looking through the scope, M57 and the stars would suddenly dim and gradually fade from view as a cloud passed. It was particularly surprising that at times I couldn't see through the clouds without a scope, but when looking through the optics, I could still make out at least some stars.

- Jay
South Florida

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Shannon,

Your sketch and post says a lot about your commitment to observing! your capture of the ring is wonderful and I hope in the near future you have better skies. You could have the snow we had this week though!

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks Carlos,Jay in Florida,and Jay in Utah.Thanks for comments. We broke a record in Polk county yesterday 95 degrees hottest in the country.Jay in Utah, I wouldn't mind a little cold weather but no thanks to the snow! :mrevil:

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Shannon,

Very nice sketch of the ring nebula. I've got to hand it to you, you are a very steadfast determined observer. :cool: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics