Photo

Two Lunar Sketches - 60mm Tasco

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi all,

I hope it's OK to post a link to a couple of lunar sketches I did this week using a Tasco 9TE-5 posted in the Classics Forum, First Light Tasco 9TE-5. One night I sketched Gessendi and the next I sketched Mersenius.

Moderators if this is not allowed please remove this post.

Thanks for looking.

peace & clear skies,

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Carl,

I think the moderators will give you the go on this.
Very nice sketching set up and best of all nice crater sketches. You sketch so well someone should allow you to trade up to a bigger scope for free. :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Carl,

I don't double post, I just link like you did and have never had a problem. Very good sketching of the craters and I hope you continue to share more!

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

Carl

Welcome to the sketch forum!

Very nice crater sketches and a thrill for me to see the scope photo! :bow: :bow: :bow: That Tasco was the exact same and my very first; I still have it in the original box with all accessories, including the solar filter and I added a wide field 40mm Au ? eyepiece. I bought the scope with my own earned berry picking money when I was 14 in 1968.

It's an inspiration to see that you rendered considerably great detail in your sketches with only 60mm medium grade optics. A young gentleman in the local astronomy club here in Portland used a 60mm K-Mart refractor for years and made many sketches from observations through it. He now uses a new 12" Discovery Dobsonain.

My first sketches were of Mars in close opposition in 1970 through my 60mm Tasco 9TE. I am searching for those sketches and will post them one day.

I look forward to seeing your future sketches and observations.

Mark

10.1" Coulter Odyssey Dobsonian c1987
Various 1/4" eyepieces, filters.
5.1" Celestron Nexstar 5i
7 X 50mm Orion BAK-4 Binoculars
40mm Coronado h-alpha Solar Telescope
*Tasco 60mm refractor in original box purchased new, still in tact since 1968

www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#5 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

Frank Jay and Mark,

I appreciate all the kind remarks, coming from you all really encourages me to do more sketches. I am thinking of doing a series of lunar sketches using this new to me Tasco 9TE-5 and then doing some with the Tasco 6TE I have and use at times.

Frank, I read what you wrote about a free larger scope to my wife and she just rolled her eyes!!! :) I could see her trying to think where another scope would or could fit! ;)

peace & clear skies,

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

Carl,

Beautiful sketches and very cool Tasco 60mm! :D :jump: :D I can see you will totally enjoy this little gem of a scope and its good to see folks using the smaller refractors for sketching. Sol Robbins recently bought a 60mm scope and has produced some fantastic sketches of Jupiter and Saturn with it.

#7 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hi Rich

Thanks for the comments. Do you know if Sol is sketching from a dark site or from the city? I'd like to try both Jupiter and Saturn (especially when the rings open up) but am concentrating on the Moon. Soon though, very soon. :)

peace & clear skies,

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

Carl,
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Frank, I read what you wrote about a free larger scope to my wife and she just rolled her eyes!!!"
Yiks! Please apologize to you wife on my behalf.:foreheadslap: And remember this -- Don't bring up the larger scopes until they arrive! :flower:

#9 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Carl,
"Frank, I read what you wrote about a free larger scope to my wife and she just rolled her eyes!!!"
Yiks! Please apologize to you wife on my behalf.:foreheadslap: And remember this -- Don't bring up the larger scopes until they arrive! :flower:

Oh man she got a big laugh out of this one too. And no I don't read everything to her.. :)

peace & clear skies,

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

Richard,

Excellent observations of Gassendi and Mersenius made using your classic Tasco 60 mm refractor. You have recorded a good amount of detail, especially with the aperture used. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics