Photo

Herschel At Sunrise Pastel- May 29 09- *New Photo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

Posted Image

This is yet another older image I produced last May 29, 2009. I focused on the crater Herschel at sunrise on the moons terminator. The new image with an improved camera shows the proper color on black Strathmore Artagain paper in 19" X 25". I was not aware that the old image was so over-blue. This work also suffered many light smudges in the black sky at the sides and even though the new photo imaging is improved, we had faulty studio light placement that caused light bleeding to the sky at far right and left, so I used some minimum blacking out with Photoshop to correct that. Usually I leave any of the ambient smearing and smudging now and make great efforts to avoid it during the sketching.

It was the proverbial theme with imaginary landscape added last at the bootm. I still intend to continue this theme when the rain stops in Portland; in other words, possibly never, the way it is going here. We have had constant clouds and rain now for the past week. :bawling: :help: :tonofbricks:

A pair follows in the next window comparing the new on left with old on right. Although not initially intended, the pair can be viewed as a slight stereo 3~D image if desired.
Enjoy!

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

Posted Image

Pair to compare - New photo of old pastel on left; old on right; may be viewed as Stereo 3~D if desired

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

Mark,

Love the colors. Excellent improvement with the re-photo.

Frank :)

#4 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Well done Mark. Your sketches look like photos. :bow: :bow:

#5 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Mark,

that´s a great scetch. Wonderfull arrangement of details. Best temperatures of colors!!!

Also in germany we have actual bad observing conditions.

Regards

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Mark,

Love the new shot! Breaks up the bluish color more to a dark gray/black color making your work stand out even more in my opinion. The new photo shows the terminator so wonderfully and the details it brings out in the crater is stunning.

Clear finally here in Utah after a week or more of clouds and snow! Just hope it is clear for the new moon. I am going to set up tonight for Halloween and show off Jupiter and may do some double observations. Your weather will clear! The jet stream is sitting right on top of you until the 5th it looks like Jet Stream Forecast click the build animation button on the upper left.

On a side note, be thankful that you didn't do what I did. I lost a clear packet of around 20 sketches from 4 observations and I think I left them at a dark site. Luckily I had scanned them but I really would like the originals back but I've checked, and nothing.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

Frank Shannon Paul and Jay

Thanks to all of you for noticing. I know the new images do not necessarily please everyone but a few of them are improved, and closer to the original pastel sketches, I believe.

Jay, I am sorry to hear of your art loss. I too have lost some over the years, work that I produced in college in 1974, but not any of my recent pastels. Thanks for the weather link. It is actually sunset colors coming through the clouds at the moment, so possibly clearing tonight? I would love to set up at least the Nexstar 5i and allow the public to observe the moon and Jupiter; it is just such a major commitment now as I would have to drive for about an hour to get to the inner city of Portland. I am in a rain forest up against the west Cascade Mountains 40 miles east of Portland.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics