a cloudy moonsketch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Yesterday I participated on a small experiment from my local astroclub: counting migrating birds that passes the moon. The observing condition was terrible: a lot of high clouds. The only objects I could see with the naked eye were the moon, Capella and Vega (Jupiter was behind the house of the neighbours). This makes a NELM of 0! But good enough to see the moon and the birds. I counted 4 birds in 30 minutes.
Because counting birds is not really thrilling... I searched for a nice region to sketch. The craters NW of Montes Jura looked good to me. Because there were a lot of clouds, there weren't many details visible. But this made the scene more easily to sketch!
Some weeks ago I posted my first sketches of the moon, made with a 7x50 binocular. I learned from the comments: take a smaler region, try higher magnification and draw on a bigger piece of paper. Thanks again everyone for these ideas.
I'm used to sketching deepsky. What kind of information is important for lunar sketching? I hope you like the labeling... I do. It makes the sketch more impressive to me. All comments are welcome.

30/10/2009, 22.00 UT, 7cm refractor (Meade ETX-70), magnification x87, NELM 0, moon 90%, white pencil on black paper, scanned and mirrored.

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Jef,

You have an eye for the craters in the mountains through the clouds. That was a great idea to double task.
Very nice sketch of the moon. :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Jef,

I enjoy the shadowing of your craters and I agree, I really like the labeling and that you kept it from interfering with the sketch. I might have labeled them 1 2 3 etc or A B C and then put a key off to the side. Not sure if that would be as effective though.

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:07 AM

Everery observation is better than a non-observation. An you mastered the atmospherical conditions quite well! Keep sketching.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

Jef

Very nice field sketch :bow: :bow: :bow: and the labeling enhances it. Something I rarely do but need to focus closer on certain regions and add some labeling eventually. I like the sweeping perspective you rendered here and the darker grey tones as if through clouds; just the way we observed it tonight here in Oregon through broken clouds.

I cannot help but agree with Uwe; everyone needs to observe more often as any observing at all is good. God knows I have missed some great moments over the years, making excuses as I could have been out observing and at least doing some rough field sketching instead. I am locked into a mode of doing only a huge work of art and this commits me to procrastinate at times.

As I retuned home tonight after allowing a few dozen people to see the moon through a Nexstar 5i Cassegrain, I wanted to sketch even though the moon was in and out of clouds all night but the public usually comes first when I do this. Now I am waiting again for clearing.

Thanks for posting your sketch, as you have inspired me to persevere.

Mark

#6 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:13 AM

Nice moonsketch Jef, the shadowing is really good imo, not easy. about the labeling, i might have put a key to the side as well as jay said. but that's just personal opinion.
we're having a few pretty miserable cloudy weeks over here. it drives me crazy, the few times i've set up the scope last month, either the seeing was horrible or by the time i got out to observe mars, clouds had rolled in again... nice to see you got to make a sketch :waytogo:

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Everybody, thanks for the kind words.
Uwe and Mark, I agree we don't profit 100% from the nightsky. I know people who only get out when there's no Moon. They see our satellite as "lightpollution" :shrug:
Jay and Kris, I'll try the other labeling technique next time. The lettering is a "standard setting" in Corel Paint, but it was just what I needed.
Kris, it isn't getting any better in Belgium... The rain is pooring down for the moment :bawling:

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Jef,

An excellent observation of the Sinus Iridum and craters surrounding the is lunar bay. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics