Nebulae in Vulpecula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

While most people here are very familiar with M-27, Vulpecula surprisingly also has other nebulae within it's confines with in range of amateur telescopes. NGC-6813 is a very small reflection nebula that seems to surround a star. It's tiny size requires searching the field at high magnification to make it out among the teeming background stars. At 188X I could see it's fuzzy edges were not perfectly round and it showed up well with no nebula filter from a airstrip to the west of my city.

The other object is the planetary nebula NGC-6842, which is about the same size as the Ring Nebula or M-57, but much fainter. No central star was visible and it only showed up through my 10-inch with the aid of an O-III filter. It would be visible without one from a very dark site through an 8 or 10-inch, the entire coastline of Alabama is light polluted enough to make nebula filters necessary to see it. No structure was visible other than a pale, faint and evenly lit disk of nebulosity. Both objects I swept up with just a couple of minutes of searching with my 10-inch F/4.5 Dobsnian. For those who would like to look for some more challenging objects, these are worth taking the time to look for them.

Taras

Attached Files

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

This is NGC-6842.

Taras

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Taras,

Fine sketches of additional targets in Vulpecula :bow: :rainbow: :cool:. I have observed open clusters like, NGC 6800, NGC 6802 and NGC 6940 but these two I have no notes on. I'll need to try my luck with these. Thank you for posting these two challenging targets from less than ideal skies.

Frank :)

#4 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Great sketches of these less-known targets! I doubt I could sweep up either from my ultra light polluted area; maybe with a larger scope, though?

- Jay
South Florida

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

Thanks Jay and Frank. You won't see these objects from an urban area, but if you get to a spot where you can see the Milky Way at all, you have a shot at seeing them with an 8 or 10-inch telescope. Bring at least a narrow band nebula filter for NGC-6842, this is fainter than 13th magnitude and even at a dark site it's tough to see without one. As for NGC-6800, 6802 and 6940, I have not only observed those open clusters, I have drawings of them as well.

Taras

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics