CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nebulae in Vulpecula

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

While most people here are very familiar with M-27, Vulpecula surprisingly also has other nebulae within it's confines with in range of amateur telescopes. NGC-6813 is a very small reflection nebula that seems to surround a star. It's tiny size requires searching the field at high magnification to make it out among the teeming background stars. At 188X I could see it's fuzzy edges were not perfectly round and it showed up well with no nebula filter from a airstrip to the west of my city.

The other object is the planetary nebula NGC-6842, which is about the same size as the Ring Nebula or M-57, but much fainter. No central star was visible and it only showed up through my 10-inch with the aid of an O-III filter. It would be visible without one from a very dark site through an 8 or 10-inch, the entire coastline of Alabama is light polluted enough to make nebula filters necessary to see it. No structure was visible other than a pale, faint and evenly lit disk of nebulosity. Both objects I swept up with just a couple of minutes of searching with my 10-inch F/4.5 Dobsnian. For those who would like to look for some more challenging objects, these are worth taking the time to look for them.

Taras

Attached Files

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

This is NGC-6842.

Taras

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Taras,

Fine sketches of additional targets in Vulpecula :bow: :rainbow: :cool:. I have observed open clusters like, NGC 6800, NGC 6802 and NGC 6940 but these two I have no notes on. I'll need to try my luck with these. Thank you for posting these two challenging targets from less than ideal skies.

Frank :)

#4 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Great sketches of these less-known targets! I doubt I could sweep up either from my ultra light polluted area; maybe with a larger scope, though?

- Jay
South Florida

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

Thanks Jay and Frank. You won't see these objects from an urban area, but if you get to a spot where you can see the Milky Way at all, you have a shot at seeing them with an 8 or 10-inch telescope. Bring at least a narrow band nebula filter for NGC-6842, this is fainter than 13th magnitude and even at a dark site it's tough to see without one. As for NGC-6800, 6802 and 6940, I have not only observed those open clusters, I have drawings of them as well.

Taras

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics