4 replies to this topic

#1 nunciusaustralis

nunciusaustralis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Other one stealed from the clouds.
Not so easy catch despite the magnitude.
The closestnaked eye star was Achernar. Then three finder fields away... Lots of clouds. Lot of stars on the finder field. Looks like fuzzy star on the finder.
A bit square"ish" feeling about it´s shape.
Very faint stars on the ocular field.
Celestron 70mm
K20 (50X)

Didnt handle more magnification well (100x)
Beautyfull gem.

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

Nuncius

Beautiful sketch :bow: :bow: :bow:

I remember seeing this globular one night while south of the equator in the Fiji Islands in late October 2003. I had only taken a borrowed 5 inch antique Celestron Cassegrain but it was an eye stunning sight after I thought it was just a bright 4th magnitute but naked eye fuzzy star. From the very dark skies in Fiji I was amazed that it was a globular as we only have M13 in Hercules in the northern sky as a bright globular that approaches barely naked eye yet only from dark skies. John Dobson also says 47 Tucani is his favorite globular. Many amateur astronomers have never been south of the equator. You are so lucky to live where you do! You still have many of our northern sky wonders but the addition of so many other fantastic Deep Sky Objects.

I looked at Omega Centari one night for over an hour through a new 10" Newtonian that I took on another trip. Omega Centari gets allot of attention from those who reside in the southern US but it does not have the surface brightness or compacted stars like 47 Tucani. Omega Centari is the apprarent size of the full moon and I thought I saw patterns in it that appeared as craters or circular voids, especially one very large roound void toward the center. I wished I had sketched it then because photos of it do not show this. Perhaps your sketches will include Omega Centari eventually. I remember it is in the southern sky at mid evening in the season of June ~ July, your winter but still balmy nights I experienced in Fiji then.

I look forward to seeing your future sketches,

Mark
www.markseibold.com

#3 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

Excellent job Nuncius. A very nice sketch. :bow:

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

Nuncius,

Very nice sketch and format for displaying it. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

Nuncius,

An excellent observation of 47 Tucanae (NGC 104) in Tucana. This is supposed to be a spectacular globular cluster, second to Omega Centauri. I hope to be able to observe this globular in the future. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics