Easel or Flat?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GW Clark

GW Clark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

I was wondering if any of you use an easel to sketch? I have always sketched with the paper flat on a table or on a slightly elevated drawing board. I thought I might have a lighter hand if I sketched using an easel. I am going to try it to see. But wondered if any of you use this technique already?

GW

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

I use a clipboard with a piece of paper on it, with the sketch paper on top of that. I haven't tried an easel or a slightly elevated drawing board.

BTW, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

GW,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. This is a matter of experience and preference. I have sketched at the eyepieces of telescopes with easels, clipboards and a mechanical drawing adjustable table. If I had to sketch with an easel I would stop sketching. I much prefer a clipboard and I have several from small to large in size.

Frank :)

#4 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

Clipboard girl here.

#5 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Flat. Just seems to work best for me.

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:22 AM

After many years of using a clipboard I switched to a surveying field frame, that is such a thing (page in german):
http://www.goecke.de...ungID=&Webcode=
It holds the paper much better even in a cutty wind. You can use both sides for sheets, which may be important for printed star maps. One side holds an overview map print and the other side a detailed one.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:29 AM

GW

Welcome to the CN sketching forum!

It depends on the situation. I have really only ever used an easel when oil painitng. I usually or almost always work in pastels on a flat table as seen in the photo on left here. I may rarely sometimes raise the work to a slight angle on a foam core board depending on the telescope eyepiece position (especially while observing through a Newtonian 'Dobsonian'), or depending how high up the scope tube is pointed into the sky, but usually keeping the sketching surface as near to flat as possible. I could see building or purchasing a special table that has quick and easily adjusted height to accomodate the astronomy artist. Maybe I'll invent, build, and patent one! :)

(The image at right producing the crescent moon was a rare condition, not at home but beside my car on a remote hilltop and standing holding a large foam core board with the pastel paper clipped to it.)

Images while working on pastel sketches: seated at table, and standing at hilltop park

In this one at home in the driveway, seated again at table and working flat. This is the only way for me to render great detail. (The middle and right images following were only posed to show size and image as midway into work, where the left image is the usual seated position)

Seated position while rendering pastel sketches, middle and right images are only for the show

Mark

www.markseibold.com

My CN Gallery

#8 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Post deleted by Uwe Pilz

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

I use a clipboard. First I putted it on my knees. But now I put it on a simple barstool (mine is less beautiful than the picture...), which is more comfortable. It has the same height as a table, but takes less place to transport.

Attached Files

#10 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Clipboard on my lap.

-- Jeff.

#11 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Clipboard on lap...

#12 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Sketch board on an metal watercolor easel, basically because of the large 19" x 25" paper I use, I like to have it close to the eyepiece. I can pull it off quickly when I want to lay it on a table to do the really fine detail, as shown in Mark's picture above. Truth be told I find myself constantly moving between holding the sketch board in hand and sketching on the table and the easel. I'm sure a long exposure photo would confirm that I am a blur moving about the scope as I sketch! :lol:

#13 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:24 AM

Uwe

Thanks for noticing that error on my part. :foreheadslap: :tonofbricks:

Sorry I was gone all day. I just returned, saw your post and made the correction. You are on top of things! :bow:

best regards,

Tschüs!

Mark

#14 GW Clark

GW Clark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. I tried the easel approach last night. Total disaster. My arm was hurting in a few minutes, I had little or no control over the pencil. Back to my folding TV tray.

BTW - JayInUtah - I live in Layton. Recently joined SLAS and will be joining OAS next week.

GW

#15 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

A 12x16 piece of 3/4 finish plywood. With a LED flash light duct taped to a piece of steel at the top. On the lap. "Duct tape" you know how the HVAC guys do it. :roflmao:

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

I use to live in Clinton and now live in Herriman. Sent you a PM. Glad to see another local who sketches and I look forward to seeing your wonderful work. Going to do some viewing from 5:30p.m. til 9:00p.m. from the backyard tonight.

#17 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

I use a loose-leaf piece of paper atop of a hard cover three ring notebook. Some sort of a table or easel would be nice, but I need to keep my setup as portable as possible for my urban conditions.

- Jay
South Florida

#18 Fraxture

Fraxture

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

I like to sketch in the pad itself, I never press hard enough to effect the pages beneath.
I am new to sketching the night sky, but not to sketching with graphite and colored pencils.

So I will ahve to modify a book light with a red LED here soon to attach to my sketch pad. :grin:

#19 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

Sketchbook or clipboard!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics