Thanks to all for the comments. I've been wanting to post an update for a while, but I've just been too busy burning vacation days and getting stuff built! I have been keeping my picture gallery up to date, so anyone following the links has probably seen more recent pics, but I'll fill in here!
January 6th: Finishing the door framing between the warm room and the observatory.
Then drilling the new anchor bolts on the roll-off piers. After finishing the framing and re-aligning, they weren't QUITE as far off as I thought, but bad enough that the original bolts were useless.
And just to give you an idea of the depth of the anchor bolt holes. Love that hammer drill! Went through this like butter.
Then the anchor bolted down. Still well supported by the footing.
The first two posts braced temporarily.
First of three 2x12s for the laminated beam.
Skipping ahead to the finished beam completed at sunset.
With the support detail at the observatory...
...and the tongue arrangement at the post.
January 7th: Finished the second beam segment the next morning.
Then added the second pair of posts. Note the temporary cross brace on the first posts in the background.
And finishing a third beam by nightfall.
January 10th: Breaking for a couple of days for work and rain, after another full day I have the last beam section and the two primary cross braces in place.
Some detail on the corner bracing and additional outside tie piece.
As well as the gussets at the ends.
January 11th: Finished up the cross braces and cross braces for those, so that everything's braced on 8' centers.
Deformities in the slab and other issues caused some high spots along the top of the wall frame. For the worst spots I hammered the nails in deeper and ran a planer across until the appropriate depth was reach. Low spots were then shimmed to raise the top plate and cap rail.
And the first part of the top plate/rail. It's also pressure treated due to potential exposure (although I plan to paint it). A 2x6 was used to strengthen and straighten the long wall, since the roof won't actually brace it across. The overhang also serves as the capture mechanism for the roll-off roof.
January 13th: After another rain break, a sortie of helicopters comes to check out the work!
A shot down one of the completed cap rails. The portion over the roll-off rail beams is a 2x8 to prevent water infiltration into the beam.
The finished length:
And finishing up the day with the header and joist hangers for the warm room ceiling.
January 16th: After a couple more days of rain and going back to work... Finished up the ceiling framing in the morning.
Monumental step...The first piece of sheathing!
Sheathed the west wall.
And the north wall by dark.
January 17th: Finishing the sheathing on the south wall...
...the east wall...
... and the interior/warm room wall.
January 18th: Decking the top of the warm room.
It's now really a room!
Next I set up my rig for drilling the holes for the roll-off wheels. I didn't want my greasy old drill press on my nice clean observatory floor, so I set up a mobile flat platform (my trailer) near the work site. Note the two sides of the rail screwed together and the angle iron clamped to control spacing.
After drilling all the sides, I put the first roller assembly together. I bought these darn wheels over a year ago wanting to get them before the price went up!
Ok, I think that's enough for one post. I'll come back and add more later!