Last one.

Attached Files

#2 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

Maybe I should have moved the hat and lamp. Naaah, its for scale. M 32 is as big as my head. :roflmao:

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Shannon,
Looks even nicer in this close up. :cool:
With the Milky Way and M 31 on a collision course with one another, you should make the mural a little larger each year to reflect any changes or just put a smaller hat and lamp in the foreground each year.

Frank :)

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:31 AM

Shannon

That is much better. Now we can see your actual artwork! Very nice :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am just wondering, and not to be too critical, aside from the nice four-pointed star enhancement, but did you actually paint the stars as elongated slightly? Or is that just toward the edges that your camera lens is a little astigmatic? Or there seems to be a slight camera jitter. Can you indicate the camera model/ brand, how close you focused, shutter speed, aperture? I just learned in a review site yesterday that my Soney Cybershot is not as bad as I had thought. It was originally $500 and I knew why. it has so many extended features like a Carl Zeiss lens, but I was not aware of other features. It was designed with old manual-like 35mm adjustments, the review site rated it very good and over the comparable Canon in the price range. Sony designed their CCD chip to mimick film grain in the range of ISO settings- Higher speed 400 ISO renders increased film grain texture, where lower speed 100 ISO renders fine smooth slow film grain appearance. I should have shot all my pastels at 100 ISO and never realized this till yesterday. *It helps sometimes to read the better review colums on equipment.

And how did the upload go for you? I assume that you discovered some features under File-drop-down-menu in the "Save for Web" selection of your Photoshop.

Good job on the new photo and the artwork!

Frank has a point, you could move the hat and lamp and make the scale anything you want. "You'll have to excuse us, our remarks about object size compared to the drawings are not to scale"... :rofl2:

Mark

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Frank & Mark. Good eye Mark! The stars are a little elongated, and a slight jitter. The camera is a GE A735. It has an aspheric zoom lens. 3x 6.1-18.3mm 1:2.8-4.8 7 meg. I'm still learning how to use it. It seems to do everything but make coffee. I can also record 20 seconds of video. If I can figure out how to lock the shutter open without using my finger maybe recording some stuff through my 12"er. MMMMM....MMMMM.... The Leo triplet through my 12"er and 38mm Q70 EP.I can get all 3 galaxies in the FOV :jump:. The save for web is great. I got it in right under 100 kb. thanks for the info.

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

Shannon

Glad you figured out the Photoshop info. I'll look forward to see what you can capture through the telescope. For the camera, if you have to shoot anything slower than 1/80th second you might consider a tripod to steady it over the eyepiece. Also instead of plunging the shutter button by hand, consider setting the delayed/10 second timer shutter release as this reduces vibrations noticeably at slower shutter speeds. For recording your art in fine detail, a tripod is essential. I just discovered that my Sony Cybershot has programmed simulated 'rough film grain' or 'added noise texture' in the higher ISO speed settings to emulate the appearance of high speed film grain. I would have dropped it to the lowest 100 ISO and used a tripod at slower shutter speeds for the past year to render fine detail photos of my art, had I known this. I just discovered this in a Sony digital camera review two days ago.

Ready for color pastel sketching yet? :)

Mark

#7 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

Lookie what I found Mark.Time to get out the smocks. :roflmao:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics