NGC 7723 and 7606

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Last night I was able to bag four Herschel Galaxies in a couple of hours of observing before the moon came up. Here are two of them. I am still working on trying to get the digital sketch to capture the galaxy correctly. These are digital sketches done in GIMP based on my actual sketches that I had scanned.

Edit: Did it again, didn't I! Thanks for catching it Frank. I got glutened yesterday (I have celiac disease) which besides some major gastro issues, makes me fuzzy in the thinking and very fatigue most of today. Sorry, I was processing NGC 185 and NGC 278 which are in Cassiopeia which were the other two galaxies I observed. I sketched NGC 278, which was wonderful but just observed NGC 185. I'll correct that, and I caught the error in the post. Guess I need to remember to not post when I've been sick.

NGC 7723

Posted Image

NGC 7606

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Jay,

You have captured these two galaxies in the water carrier very nicely.:rainbow: :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Jay

Sorry to hear of your condition. Regardless, you have rendered some fine detailed sketches of these DSO's, especially in the outer details of the galaxies subtle spiral arms. :bow: :bow: :bow: *Edited: I especially like your treatment of NGC 7723, I had to go back and look in the inverted image; it appears to have three-dimensional layers.

I was curious to see them in inverted images in Photoshop. They are quite realistic to actual galaxies as observed through the telescope, if apon inversion that you drop the contrast a bit.

Keep up the good work!

Mark

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

Very nice drawings of these two Aquarius galaxies. Evidently you had very good sky conditions and very good night vision to see them as well as you have with a 10-inch since they are a little on the faint side. I've seen both of them, and they looked pretty featureless to me through my own 10-inch but they did brighten towards the center. Well done!

Taras

#5 GW Clark

GW Clark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

Very nice Jay. Thanks for posting them.

GW

#6 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Great sketches, Jay! You've captured some great detail in both. Your mentioning the two galaxies in Cassiopeia reminds me of my latest hunt for both of them (been after them for years). I was all prepared at a dark sky sight with my 150mm achromat, but alas - cloudy skies on a night forecast to be clear. ;)

Thanks for sharing these sketches. I look forward to more of your expertly done renderings.

- Jay
South Florida

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, sky conditions were excellent and I was at a dark site and I live in a desert which helps when we have those excellent nights. My rendering of NGC 7723 was my favorite, though it was hard to capture. Both took a lot of time and tracking to get down.

It was funny JaySKC, O'Meara comments in his Herschel 400 guide made me think that 185 would provide more detail than 278, but I found the opposite to be true. 185 took a lot of averted vision and a lot of time. 278 bounced out at me right away and it took high power far better than 185 (185 max was about 200x but 278 took 400x on a barlow). In the end, liked I mentioned, I choose to sketch 278 as I had more detail there by far. It may also be that I observed 185 while it was still not high in the sky and 278 was much higher in the sky.

Last night I finished with NGC 7727 another galaxy in Aquarius that just stuck out for me, faint at first, but with much more detail the longer I stuck with it. Strong core at higher power. I did a sketch of that, taking a hour and a half at that object and then did a bunch of open clusters in Cassiopeia on the Herschel list for the night which included the following sketches or ones I will:

NGC 7789 which would be a challenging sketch with the great variety of magnitude of stars present if you try to capture most of the stars in this open cluster, pretty as well. I marked this to return to sketch at a later time. Wonderful open cluster and I wonder why its not in Messier's list. I didn't sketch it because it would have eaten up too much time and though I will, I want to set the time aside so I don't feel rushed on this one.

NGC 225 in Cassiopeia which was a fun cluster and a fun sketch, looking like a broken butterfly or broken heart to me. Definite triangular shape here with a dark lane(?) separating the two portions of this OC.

In total I bagged six open clusters and one galaxy last night with the three sketches for a total of seven items before the moon and the wind started to come up as the jet stream started to meander down my way. Oh, I got a carbon star that is up by Calph also, which is always a treat so eight items!

Again, thanks for the comments. I was pretty happy with these four observations.

#8 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Great sketches Jay. Excellent sky conditions, dark site, desert. I wanna bring my telescope to your house! :bow: :bow: :bow: :cloudy:

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

Shannon, you or any of the regulars here are always welcome, I have a spare bedroom and plenty of room downstairs. The Salt Lake Astronomical Society is hosting ALCON in 2011 at Zions National Park, some of the best skies in the states. Perhaps some of us should plan to meet up there?

#10 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

I might not want to come back home. :jump:

#11 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

Jay
Nice to see your sketches from NGC 7723 and 7606. I'm also working on the H400 and observed all the DSO you mentioned. But from my suburban home (NELM around 4.5) the galaxies are hard to see in my 12". Especially when they are low in the sky. Here are my observing comments.

NGC 7723 and 7606: only visible with averted vision

NGC 185 and 278: I agree, 278 is better visible than 185. But not much detail to see.

NGC 7727: not much detail, but it is nicely surrounded by a circle of 6 stars (can't wait to see your sketch)

NGC 7789: beautiful cluster that changes a lot with magnification (at x34 it looked like a spiderweb, at x92 it looked like a rose seen from above). Hope you will sketch this one in the future.

NGC 225: I noted "beautiful cluster". So I'm currious about your sketch.

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

Jay,

Excellent observations of two interesting galaxies in Aquarius. You have recorded detail over the galaxies in your observations. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

I am sorry to hear about your Celiac disease gluten flare up. I hope that you are better by now.

I inverted your observations and have posted them together below. I hope that you like them.

Carlos

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics