Off site galaxy sketches and Uganda sketches

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

If interested, you can go to the site listed as part of my signature to see sketches and stories of some recent observations of galaxies. Also, we recently trained to Thai missionaries and gave them an equipment kit. Part of their training is to produce the first observations and sketches of objects they see. If you decide to go to look:

NGC 253/stippling pastel sketch and story--go to astronomical inspirational stories and sketches; it is currently the top item on the left column

NGC 7331/pastel sketch and story--same location but next item down

Uganda teacher sketches and Thailand couple and first sketches: go to Teacher/Leader galleries to see their pictures and first sketches

We return to Uganda in a couple weeks to give out awards to students. We had over 100 sketches sent to us to judge. It took a 3-person team about 100 hours to do the judging, provide comments, make awards, etc. but it was fun. And, reports indicate they are continuing to develop their abilities. We will be training them some more and also training a Kenyan ministry when we go.

Clear skies.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Roland and Linda,

Thank you for this post. I followed it to your website. Very nice. It was such a great pleasure to see your sketches again. I for one miss your posts here.
Best wishes on your return trip to Uganda.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Roland,

Your galaxy sketches and stories are excellent and inspirational. I am glad to see your wonderful observation once again. The best of luck to you and Linda.

Carlos

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:16 AM

Roland and Linda

It is nice to see your sketch work again, as we have all missed your posts for some time here now.

I was able to take some time and read much of your site. It humbled me as I recalled doing some similar work for the local schools and public while I spent the better half of a year in the Fiji Islands, 2003 ~ 2004 and realized how much I miss that now. I related closely to your beautiful pastel sketch of NGC 253 as I observed it nearly straight overhead at 17 ½ degrees south latitude of the equator from Fiji in October 2003. Unfortunately I was on a sabbatical from sketching then.

It is a great and noble service that you two are providing for those students. I am sure it has changed their lives and community for the better.

Best wishes for your continued work and travels,

Mark

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Thank you Frank, Carlos, and Mark. I will occasionally make a similar announcement when I have posted a few sketches should any one want to see them. Comments are always welcome as we are always trying to improve but also trying any techniques that help teachers and children in improverished areas. You can always reach me via PM on CN or direct to me or us via the web site.

Sorry I cannot put them here but linking faith in God, which we always do, with sketching and observing is forbidden here as well as in sketches on CN.

It's still a very good day to give thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics