• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hello,

The Daystar has woken up a little bit and over the weekend too, allowing me to make a pair of observations and sketches posted in the Solar Forum.

I used black Strathmore Artagain paper, white Conte' crayon, a Derwent Chinese White watercolor pencil, and for the first time, experimented with a Derwent Graphtint white pencil (like Jeff Young uses for his fine solar sketches).

Best to all,

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Michael, These are marvelous! :bow: :jump: :bow: I very much enjoy your views of these looping proms, so nice that you were able to get some blue skies to render such fine detail. Very cool that our Sun is starting to show more activity.

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

Michael
Sketches like yours makes me more and more convinced that my next big investment will be a H-alpha-scope!

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Michael

Very nice sketch :bow: :bow: :bow: and thanks for the report. I have forgotten to look at the sun lately due to continuous clouds and rain here in Portland. It is also interesting to compare your sketch with a photo in today’s Spaceweather.com.

Many forget that the view at any moment can change dynamically and dramatically. Now you have reminded me to possibly work from memory and sketch a prominence that I witnessed and allowed the public see through the Daystar h-alpha I was traveling with across the US and Canada in 2000. I was in Whitefish Montana that afternoon on my 6 week return trip of 10,000 solo road miles back to Portland. A prominence suddenly appeared like a twisted shoestring beaming out about 2 diameters of the suns disc! from one edge. It was literally out of the eyepiece with the lowest magnification. It dissipated and was gone within 15 minutes. I don’t think the SOHO even caught it as sometimes official cameras are not recording photos every second or minute. Proof that amateurs are only seeing things at certain times!

I may try to make a sketch from memory one day of that event; that was long ago when I was not sketching as I hadn’t started with the solar h-alpha sketching until October 2006 and long before the moon sketching. The news people did a story about the solar observing I was providing for the public there as in many other places I traveled but not on that day at that moment. Only a few people witnessed this with me through the telescope.

I’ll be watching AR1029 this week, thanks to you, and as we have any breaks clearing of clouds.

Thanks again for posting,

Mark

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Nice ones, Michael!

What did you think of the Graphitint?

-- Jeff.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Michael,

These sketches look very nice. I think you have found a great combination for your future solar sketches. I am impressed. Excellent. :cool:

Frank :)

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks very much to everyone. You never know what is happening on the Sun unless you look--although the online forums really keep one up to date if you check them.

Jef, an Halpha scope is an excellent investment. :cool:

What did you think of the Graphitint?

-- Jeff.

Jeff, the graphtint white seemed softer than the Derwent chinese white--good for filling in the brighter part of a prom. Used lightly, it would probably serve for the whole sketch. You have more experience--what do you think?

#8 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

very nice sketch of the daytime star thanks for posting.

#9 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:06 AM

Jeff, the graphtint white seemed softer than the Derwent chinese white--good for filling in the brighter part of a prom. Used lightly, it would probably serve for the whole sketch. You have more experience--what do you think?

Michael --

I'm pretty hooked on them. The white is the only pencil I use for proms. (I still haven't discovered a combination of media -- or technique -- that I'm happy with for surface detail.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Michael,

Excellent and interesting observations of solar prominences. You have captured the flow of the prominences nicely. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

Carlos and T5, thanks for your kind comments. There has been so little solar activity lately that it was good to have a chance to get some practice. :)

Michael --

I'm pretty hooked on them. The white is the only pencil I use for proms. (I still haven't discovered a combination of media -- or technique -- that I'm happy with for surface detail.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

I'm going to try out the Graphtint some more next chance I get. And I am definitely not satisfied with how I render the solar surface. :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics