CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter Transits Nov. 17th UT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

Thanks to Curt Renz, aka Centaur, I was made aware of a pair of transits involving Jupiter and its Gailean moons. I made this sketch posted in Curt's thread of the event.

The drawing is a composite of a field sketch of Jupiter done with a 2B and 4B graphite pencil laid on a digital background with Europa and Ganymede added digitally (taken from field notes). I flipped the drawing horizontally for the south up preceding to the left view and added the text.

I think this is a good example of how you can take an old fashion field sketch and add to it with a computer for presentation on the web. This sketch only exists in cyberspace (unless I choose to print out a copy). :cool:

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Nicely done, Michael! I'm hoping to get one last shot of Jupiter before the season is over. It's a good dusk object right now if I can zip home from work! - j

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

Michael,

Congratulations on capturing the transit of Ganymede by Europa. These mutual occultation events are always exciting to watch. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, folks. By 8 PM local time, Jupiter is moving on pretty fast--I had to quickly move my scope from where I had it set up or I wouldn't have been able to see this transit. I hope you can both get at least one more look at the King so we can see your fine sketches.

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Very nice sketch of this cool event, too many clouds here, perhaps i will be able to catch the eclipse on the 19th.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thanks, Tommy and good luck for the 19th. The clouds here are back for a while.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics