Photo

Jupiter Transits Nov. 17th UT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

Thanks to Curt Renz, aka Centaur, I was made aware of a pair of transits involving Jupiter and its Gailean moons. I made this sketch posted in Curt's thread of the event.

The drawing is a composite of a field sketch of Jupiter done with a 2B and 4B graphite pencil laid on a digital background with Europa and Ganymede added digitally (taken from field notes). I flipped the drawing horizontally for the south up preceding to the left view and added the text.

I think this is a good example of how you can take an old fashion field sketch and add to it with a computer for presentation on the web. This sketch only exists in cyberspace (unless I choose to print out a copy). :cool:

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Nicely done, Michael! I'm hoping to get one last shot of Jupiter before the season is over. It's a good dusk object right now if I can zip home from work! - j

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

Michael,

Congratulations on capturing the transit of Ganymede by Europa. These mutual occultation events are always exciting to watch. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, folks. By 8 PM local time, Jupiter is moving on pretty fast--I had to quickly move my scope from where I had it set up or I wouldn't have been able to see this transit. I hope you can both get at least one more look at the King so we can see your fine sketches.

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Very nice sketch of this cool event, too many clouds here, perhaps i will be able to catch the eclipse on the 19th.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thanks, Tommy and good luck for the 19th. The clouds here are back for a while.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics