#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

Posted Image
Driving To Mars

Observed through 10.1" Dobsonain f/4.5 Newtonain with use of Orion Sky Glow filter attached to 9.7mm Plossl, 6mm Orthoscopic and 5mm Plossl eyepieces producing 120X, 192X, 231X *The old Orion Skyglow filters were excelent to reveal surface features on Mars, rendering them slightly green-grey. The planets orange becomes peachy-pink in appearance with this filter. [Later-newer Orion Skyglow filters rendered the planet as green overall.]

To all

Although I believe I am stretching the otherwise art forum into the technical sketching here (trusting that the moderators will allow this); I actually observed Mars on its second closest approach back in November 2005, after making some other observations of it in August ~ September 2003 and my first two serious pastel sketches then. Those can all be seen in my gallery.

This one was done, I believe in October`November 2005. [I should search notes for the exact date.] As friends coaxed me to add some comic ambience; I focused first on the reality of the image in the eyepiece as I wanted to capture what I was really observing in surface details. Both polar caps, (south is up through the 10.1" Dobsonian)so the south polar cap is at top with the 'North Polar Hood" at bottom, were easily visible. The strange green-grey makings in the central surface appeared as a running figure. [I never did check an accurate Mars map to determine what surface features I was actually seeing.]

The old photo is at left with the newer high resolution photo at right. I know several will say the old image at left has more sharpness and/or detail [that is actually pixelation you are seeing.] As uusual the two together can simulate a slight stereo 3D if the crossed-eyes technique is used. If you can atain the 3D, I think it gives the image a more realistic effect as if through the eyepiece. I suppose even the ambience surrounding appears as 3D in parts? Titled "Driving to Mars".

A larger higher resolution image can be viewed at >

High Res Image of Mars sketch at 400KB

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Mark,

Yes this one shows exceptionally good 3D effect when your eyes merge these two images. The imagery here is great, it does make me smile. :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Mark,

The new image shows the detail you captured even better. 2005 was a good apparition of Mars but the current one can show a good amount of detail if an observer is patient. Thank you for bringing it back for us all.

Carlos

#4 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thank you Mark. That is really nice. My wife likes to see me looking at the screen with my eyes crossed and mouth hanging open :lol:. Guess that's why she loves me.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Frank, Carlos and Shannon

Glad I could entertain your guys. I would really like to look through a good Maksutov like Carlos has. The closest I came to seeing great Mars surface details was viewing through a 20 inch Obsession Newtonian in 2003 and 2005. I was agaped for hours. I did do a detailed sketch of that and will find it soon to display here or in my gallery.

Shannon, if you'd like I could make a 3D image in pastel of you gaping at the sceen at my art [for your wife,] as I think I can do this because of course, . . . I am Mark Seibold. :roflmao:

Mark
www.markseibold.com

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:56 AM

Mark, truly wonderful, even My wife stopped and looked and commented. She liked it and so do I!

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Nice sketch combo Mark, though I'm not as conscious of it's stereo affect. The sketch of Mars is awesome and the comical aspect is certainly well presented. Imagine that ride! :lol: Well done my friend. :waytogo:

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Jay and Rich

Even if at times I think I am stretching the art away from actual observational technical sketching, I hope to maybe tease others to open up and try to discover the art of sketching. This was one as my first that emulates a realistic cartoon image and I noticed that it grabs the younger crowd more so to interest them in art. Actually it was a young lady friend in Portland that asked to use this sketch as her Myspace avatar a few years ago. I am not sure what that means. Then a lady in Spain recently asked to use my Venus Occultation over the Portland Oregon skyline from May 22nd for her permanent masthead in their website in Spain. "Astronomadas." She and her husband produce detailed close-up sketches of the moon from observation.

:cool:

Mark

#9 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Mark Art of someone enjoying Mark art! :question: :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics