CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Albategnius

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

This sketch is from several weeks ago. I wasn't particularly happy with it, so I hesitated. But it was one of a very few good nights for viewing, so here it is.

The crater is peppered with numerous small and medium craterlets, which made it an interesting target. I think next time I'll try it black-on-white; I don't really have the knack for conveying depth. Practice, practice, practice!

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

Tom,

Stop. Don't sell yourself short this is a very fine sketch.:bow: :cool: :rainbow: :bow: I have only sketched this crater one time when the floor was in complete shadow. You have captured a large amount of detail here and the shadows on the crater floor give the sketch a very good amount of depth. The central peak and shadow are perfect. I know you are using a push,look and sketch technique. I'd like to see someone do it better.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Tom,

An excellent observation of Albategnius. You recorded the crater walls and shadows nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Gemini

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

It was a good idea to stop hesitating and to post this nice sketch!

#5 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

Thanks all, for your kind words. Now, if I could get some cooperation from the weather gods, I'd be happy!

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

It is important to sketch accurately what you sketch. It is not necessary th render the full visible field. The craters' walls and inside conatain a lot of precise detail. Keep sketching!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics