• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

This sketch is from several weeks ago. I wasn't particularly happy with it, so I hesitated. But it was one of a very few good nights for viewing, so here it is.

The crater is peppered with numerous small and medium craterlets, which made it an interesting target. I think next time I'll try it black-on-white; I don't really have the knack for conveying depth. Practice, practice, practice!

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

Tom,

Stop. Don't sell yourself short this is a very fine sketch.:bow: :cool: :rainbow: :bow: I have only sketched this crater one time when the floor was in complete shadow. You have captured a large amount of detail here and the shadows on the crater floor give the sketch a very good amount of depth. The central peak and shadow are perfect. I know you are using a push,look and sketch technique. I'd like to see someone do it better.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Tom,

An excellent observation of Albategnius. You recorded the crater walls and shadows nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

It was a good idea to stop hesitating and to post this nice sketch!

#5 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

Thanks all, for your kind words. Now, if I could get some cooperation from the weather gods, I'd be happy!

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

It is important to sketch accurately what you sketch. It is not necessary th render the full visible field. The craters' walls and inside conatain a lot of precise detail. Keep sketching!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics