CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The NGC7790 Family

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi, all.

I was able to enjoy the less-known star clusters around NGC7790 in Cassiopeia's western wilds during the past week. Here are a few sketches from my observing sessions ( lots of details in my Deep Sky section post).

NGC7790 and NGC7788:

Posted Image

A close look at NGC7788 with its haze of unresolved members:

Posted Image

And north from these two clusters is King 12, which looked to me like a dim globular through the 77mm refractor:

Posted Image

And lastly, NGC40 down in Cepheus.

Posted Image

It was fun observing and sketching these objects even through my bad sky glow. I was surprised that I could pick-out some of the details with only 77mm of aperture to work with, although I have to admit that I'm catching a case of aperture fever!

:) Jay
South Florida

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

Jay,

These are all very, very nice sketches. I like the way you handle the unresolved stars. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 yann pothier

yann pothier

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

Small scope and off-the-beaten path objects, I like the combination !
:jump:
Yann

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Jay,

Great captures! Love your NGC 40 and the others as well. Hung out in the Queen on Monday.

#5 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Frank. I learned how to handle the unresolved stars from both O'Meara's books and from some long-ago posts in this very forum.

Yann - I love discovering new objects and trying to locate targets that don't appear on most charts. I also like showing that you can have fun with the deep sky with any aperture.

Jay - Many thanks! I was surprised I could see NGC40 as it was just above the roof tops and embedded in bad light pollution. Cassiopeia is by far my favorite constellation. It has a little of all types of objects and is pretty easy to navigate with star hopping.

- Jay
South Florida

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Jay,

An excellent set of observations of interesting open clusters and a planetary nebula in Cassiopeia. These often overlooked jewels in the sky are fun to observe. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics