• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi, all.

I was able to enjoy the less-known star clusters around NGC7790 in Cassiopeia's western wilds during the past week. Here are a few sketches from my observing sessions ( lots of details in my Deep Sky section post).

NGC7790 and NGC7788:

Posted Image

A close look at NGC7788 with its haze of unresolved members:

Posted Image

And north from these two clusters is King 12, which looked to me like a dim globular through the 77mm refractor:

Posted Image

And lastly, NGC40 down in Cepheus.

Posted Image

It was fun observing and sketching these objects even through my bad sky glow. I was surprised that I could pick-out some of the details with only 77mm of aperture to work with, although I have to admit that I'm catching a case of aperture fever!

:) Jay
South Florida

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

Jay,

These are all very, very nice sketches. I like the way you handle the unresolved stars. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 yann pothier

yann pothier

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Paris, France

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

Small scope and off-the-beaten path objects, I like the combination !
:jump:
Yann

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Jay,

Great captures! Love your NGC 40 and the others as well. Hung out in the Queen on Monday.

#5 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Frank. I learned how to handle the unresolved stars from both O'Meara's books and from some long-ago posts in this very forum.

Yann - I love discovering new objects and trying to locate targets that don't appear on most charts. I also like showing that you can have fun with the deep sky with any aperture.

Jay - Many thanks! I was surprised I could see NGC40 as it was just above the roof tops and embedded in bad light pollution. Cassiopeia is by far my favorite constellation. It has a little of all types of objects and is pretty easy to navigate with star hopping.

- Jay
South Florida

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Jay,

An excellent set of observations of interesting open clusters and a planetary nebula in Cassiopeia. These often overlooked jewels in the sky are fun to observe. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics