NGC 253, 247, 288

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

I had a wonderful opportunity this week. I observed these three objects from my home on Monday in not so good of conditions. Humidity was really high when I looked at them and they were just barely able to made out. The next night I was at a local dark site before sun set and then until 10:30p. and at that site conditions were improved, and I got a better result. Having said that, I really had to use averted vision and direct vision on these objects because of sky conditions.

NGC 253 was faint to me at first and then showed a lot more with time and patience in my backyard. At the dark site it stuck right out, though still somewhat faint due to the sky conditons. Core was strong at times and appeared elliptical in shape with a diffused edge. At 92x I was able to see and detect some structure of the spiral nature. I used a XT10 and a 12.5 inch dob to view these objects.

Posted Image

NGC 288 was a nice globular with some good details at 240x. At 57x the globular is a nice ball of unresolved stars, while at 240x I could detect some individual stars across the globular.

Posted Image

NGC 247 was the last object seen. It was very dim in the sky due to conditions and due to the object. I could only detect it with averted vision and by keeping one eye dark adapted. Small but bright core.

Posted Image

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Jay
Thanks for the nice sketches. I'm glad to see them, because they are allready a long time on my observing list. But in Belgium they are low in the sky and almost impossible to see from my backyard.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Jay,

These are beautiful sketches of 3 great targets. You used just enough aperture to create the wonderful views for these excellent sketches. I like the presentation format as an eyepiece circular view.:bow: :bow:

Frank :)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

Jef and Frank,

Thank you for your comments. I wish I knew a way to get the galaxies to appear to fade in and out.

#5 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for sharing these sketches of southern objects, Jay. I'd love to try for them, but my southern skies are so horrid I doubt they'd be visible at all. Your NGC 247 sketch fooled me when I first saw it - I thought there was a smudge on my computer monitor. You've done a great job at capturing the subtle glow of both galaxies. I always find such challenging.

- Jay
South Florida

#6 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

Nice sketches, Jay! Like Jef De Wit, these are all so buried in my light pollution along the horizon that they're not really worth looking at from here.

-- Jeff.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Jay,

Excellent observations of NGC 247/253/288. You have captured these objects very nicely. They are all interesting targets. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Jay, Jeff and Carlos, thank you for your comments. They are not high by any means in my sky, but if I don't get these in October or November, I risk not getting them. 253 came and went and 247 was very faint. Anyway, fun objects to push for at two different locations in two nights. Can't wait for tomorrow night! Hopefully an all nighter or near it!

#9 yann pothier

yann pothier

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Paris, France

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:18 AM

"Admirable" renderings as they depict with fidelity the visual impressions of these DSOs ! Good work Jay !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics