CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Purbach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

This night I had the chance to observe crater Purbach. The rims are very distorted. In the inner some flooded craters can be found. (6" Mak@144x)

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Uwe,

I like this one very much. You made this sketch at a fairly high sun position. That makes it more challenging in my estimation. :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Purbach. The walls and flooded craters over the floor are well recorded. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Nicely done!!! You've almost convinced me to try a sketch of a crater . . . almost.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Uwe,

Nice work on this sketch--you captured the details well. Your drawing made me do a little research on Purbach (as these drawings usually do when I'm not familiar with them or their eponym.

Georg von Purbach was a 15th century Austrian mathematician and astronomer who taught at the University of Vienna. Among other works was a well received table of lunar eclipses. Interestingly, one of his pupils was Regiomontanus, whose crater joins Crater Purbach to the south where they share a battered rim. Mouse over this image to see the pair and here is a closeup. Crater Purbach is big--118km/71 miles in diameter. :cool:

Nicely done!!! You've almost convinced me to try a sketch of a crater . . . almost.

Jay, I agree that lunar sketching is daunting but I hope you'll try it when you're ready. You might be surprised by the results. :)

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for your comments! I could sketch the eastern wall quite detailed. I saw a similar amount of details in the west, but is hard for me to bring this to paper, if it is located in the white areas. I experimented with black paper and white pencil, but I had the same problems - inversed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics