Purbach

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Viking 1

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

This night I had the chance to observe crater Purbach. The rims are very distorted. In the inner some flooded craters can be found. (6" Mak@144x)

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Uwe,

I like this one very much. You made this sketch at a fairly high sun position. That makes it more challenging in my estimation. :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Purbach. The walls and flooded craters over the floor are well recorded. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Nicely done!!! You've almost convinced me to try a sketch of a crater . . . almost.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Uwe,

Nice work on this sketch--you captured the details well. Your drawing made me do a little research on Purbach (as these drawings usually do when I'm not familiar with them or their eponym.

Georg von Purbach was a 15th century Austrian mathematician and astronomer who taught at the University of Vienna. Among other works was a well received table of lunar eclipses. Interestingly, one of his pupils was Regiomontanus, whose crater joins Crater Purbach to the south where they share a battered rim. Mouse over this image to see the pair and here is a closeup. Crater Purbach is big--118km/71 miles in diameter. :cool:

Nicely done!!! You've almost convinced me to try a sketch of a crater . . . almost.

Jay, I agree that lunar sketching is daunting but I hope you'll try it when you're ready. You might be surprised by the results. :)

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Viking 1

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for your comments! I could sketch the eastern wall quite detailed. I saw a similar amount of details in the west, but is hard for me to bring this to paper, if it is located in the white areas. I experimented with black paper and white pencil, but I had the same problems - inversed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics