Photo

Nov09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Nov09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Sketch Goes to the Finals?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:39 AM

We are very pleased and proud to present the November 2009 Sketching Semi-Finalists in the Imaging/Sketching Contest.

kraterkid:

Posted Image

The Leonid Meteor Shower November 17, 2009

The Leonids put on a spectacular display in the early morning hours of November 17th as seen from from Jacumba, California. Around 1:30 to 4:30 am PDT, we were treated to a barrage of meteors, from bright little spikes of light to radiant bolides that streaked halfway across the starry skies leaving long smoke trains that lingered in the air and then dissipated. The stream was sporadic however, and we noted several five to ten minute intervals with small counts breaking the 100-200 meteors per hour rate that seemed a good approximation to the average observed. I was certain that the rate was close to the 500/hr in periods between 3:30 am and 4:30 am predicted by some. Jacumba has very few bright street lights currently and the zodiacal light shone so brightly it was almost distracting. I decided to sketch the scene, and after finishing the foreground ridge on the eastern side of my property and the position of Leo on the horizon, I began to record the trajectory and brightness of the meteors that fell within the field of view of my sketch during the interval between 1:45 am and 3:15 am PDT. You'll note that Leo would have risen about 25 degrees higher off the horizon during the sketch session, so the drawing does not accurately reflect that movement. Despite the restricted field of view, you can see that I was able to record a nice variety of Leonids during the hour and a half period. In the future, I've decided to try sketching one hour intervals with larger fov's, that way I can record hourly count variations.

I hope most of you had clear weather and were able to see this awesome event, it's one that will remain in my memory as the best I've ever witnessed.

Sketch details:
Subject: The 2009 Leonid Meteor Shower
Date: 11-17-09 Time: 1:30 to 3:15 am PDT Location: Jacumba, California
Naked eye sketch
Media: Conte' Crayon and dry pastels on Strathmore 400 series black Artagain paper
Sketch size: 9" x 12"

markseibold:

Posted Image

This was the largest pastel of the near full moon I have produced as yet. It was done over two nights for a total work time of approximately 4 1/2 hours through the eyepiece of my 10.1 inch Newtonain last July 8 ~ 9, 2009. It was sketched onto 22" X 30" black Stonehenge 100% cold pressed cotton pastel paper. The moons disc was rendered at 16 inches in diameter.

Please note that voting will conclude on December 8th at Midnight EST.

Many thanks to all who took part in the contest!

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

Please join me in congratulating Sketching Forum's Finalist - markseibold:

Posted Image

This was the largest pastel of the near full moon I have produced as yet. It was done over two nights for a total work time of approximately 4 1/2 hours through the eyepiece of my 10.1 inch Newtonain last July 8 ~ 9, 2009. It was sketched onto 22" X 30" black Stonehenge 100% cold pressed cotton pastel paper. The moons disc was rendered at 16 inches in diameter.

Best of luck in the Finals!

Charlie

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:32 AM

Wow, folks, iy plain to see why my friend Mark won, just a superb lunar sketch! :jump:

Mark, you da man! :waytogo: Represent, Dude! :grin:

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Rich- I was lost to know what to enter this month so had to resort to a work from past months. I am grateful that Charlie allowed it somewhat out of season. But then the moon is really never out of season, is it? I think your Leonids rendering is also beautiful and was well worthy of a win.

Many write to me and ask now if I will sell it and other works. I have said I won't but would consider making more originals soon as weather improves and perhaps those will be for giving away or selling.

Here is a close-up with comparable objects near it to show a different perspective - Mark >

Mark working at drawing board on large lunar sketch- other previous works pictured nearby

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics