Mars 14/12 sketch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hi, here's mars on 14 december, under observing conditions i like most: mildly freezing temperatures around -5°C :)

no morning observing session this time, because it would be the blank side with Mare Cimmerium & Sirenum facing me again. so i got a look at the Solis Lacus region this evening which means Mars is not yet very high in the sky, only 21° for this sketch, which isn't very good for the seeing ofcourse.

250x was the highest i could go, and only in combination with a red filter and apodizing mask something could be clearly made out (apart from the polar cap with it's border).

Niliacus Lacus and mare acidalicum stood out pretty well above the polar cap, with a brighter division in between, achilles pons?

further north would be Chryse, pretty bright to me, and higher south part of mare erythareum. the whole band which solis lacus must be in appeared difficult to resolve due to bad seeing. at best i could see it as 'lobed' in three parts of which the middle one could be solis lacus.

no limb brightening along the morning edge, but about in the middle of the edge was something looking as a bright spot, perhaps a cloud?

the sketch looks a bit more rough, and more reddish than usual, that's because it also looked more reddish because it was situated low in our orange skyglow :( plus only 250x was used, and i observed with an orange filter...

Posted Image

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Very nice "eye of Mars" thanks for posting.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

Kris,

Very nice, always a pleasure to see your sketches of Mars. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:24 AM

thanks Tommy & Frank, had a look at the eye 2 hours later, with much better seeing and higher altitude, but i couldn't really make out much more. i think the details in and around solis lacus are small and subtle, hard to catch at still only 11". i remember seeing some detail within but that was with a diameter of 20" or so!

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Kris,

An excellent observation of Mars showing much detail. Solis Lacus and Mare Acidalium were prominent in your observation. I have identified the major albedo features. I believe that you did observe a morning limb haze (MLH, cloud). Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I hope to observe Mars soon.

Carlos

Attached Files

#6 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:42 AM

Very nice drawing Kris.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:36 AM

I am way behind on looking at all the Mars sketches posted lately. This is a nice one Kris--very careful and detailed observation and report. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics