Crescent Moon and Earthshine

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

I was able to observe the Waning Crescent Moon (27.6 days old) above the eastern horizon covered by pastel bluish-lavender clouds and an orange strip on December 14, 2009 (11:10 U.T.). The Moon was spectacular as it displayed a thin bright white sliver and earthshine was very prominent over the un-illuminated portion. I hope that others were able to view this scene as well.

A digital image produced in Pixelmator.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

Carlos,

I would have loved to see this live, this is a beautiful capture. The crescent moon in this sketch enhances the blue sky and the clouds. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

Carlos, my friend, this is truly sublime! :)

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:08 AM

Frank and Rich,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments. I was treated to one of nature's beautiful sights. I wish that you both could have seen it as well. The best of luck in your observations.

Rich- I hope that you are feeling better at this time. Have fun in the new observatory.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Carlos

#5 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Frame it and hang it on your wall, delightful.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Paul,

Thank you for the compliment on my Crescent Moon and earthshine. It was a beautiful sight to behold. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Very beautiful! Great work Carlos.

#8 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

great moon, very realistic, bravo, a work of art.

#9 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

I hate to be a critic, but there is a glaring technical error here. No object lying *outside* Earth's atmosphere can ever appear darker than the sky immediately adjacent. That includes the Moon's night side.

The reason for this is that the light of the sky and the light from the object *always* add together, resulting in the object appearing brighter than the surrounding sky, even if only by a very tiny margin.

But don't feel bad! The sci-fi movie "Pitch Black", with Vin Diesel, did this too, in the scene featuring the dramatic ringed planet looming darkly on the horizon when the sky was darkening in eclipse.

#10 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

I hate to be a critic, but there is a glaring technical error here. No object lying *outside* Earth's atmosphere can ever appear darker than the sky immediately adjacent. That includes the Moon's night side.

I'm not sure the "error" is as glaring as you suggest. The color of the moon's darkside is not quite what I would expect, but a simple gray-scale conversion of Carlos' sketch will show that the darkside has not been rendered darker than the surrounding sky to any significant extent...

Attached Files

#11 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure the "error" is as glaring as you suggest. The color of the moon's darkside is not quite what I would expect, but a simple gray-scale conversion of Carlos' sketch will show that the darkside has not been rendered darker than the surrounding sky to any significant extent...

These statements may raise some interesting conjectures. Do not forget that the moon also has a varying degree of brightness on its earthshine side at any given time and changes constantly, especially during twilight. I thought Carlos' rendering looked quite accurate.

ie: I have observed the earthshine during twilight moments where the Mare appear as black holes or as like the dark sky coming through portions of the moons earthshine surface.

Incidentally, sorry I missed this post earlier Carlos. Another beautiful rendering by you in one of those rare twilight moments :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mark

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Thank you all for the kind compliments on my Crescent Moon and earthshine observation.

I rendered the scene as visible to my eyes at the time of the observation. I did not believe the non-illuminated (Earthshine) portion of the Moon to be much darker than the background sky color. In my rendering it does give the impression that the non-illuminated portion os "darker" but I believe this to be a contrast effect of gray scale colors adjacent to the blue background sky. Jeremy has kindly converted my rendering to a grayscale which clearly shows that the earthshine (non-illuminated) portion is not darker than the background sky. I welcome any comments on my observations as this is a learning experience for us all.

Glenn- I am happy that the alien monsters of the Vin Diesel movie (Pitch Black, a good Sci-fi movie!) did not come out and eat me while I was making my observation!

Carlos

#13 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:04 AM

An artwork does not need to be physically correct like a photgraph. The image should reflect(!) the artists' feeling of the scene. In nature the dark sidfe of the moon would look blueish.

Even at photos non-natural things can be seen. Please look at this
http://artblart.file...nley-alaska.jpg
photograph from Ansel Adams. The reflection of the sky is brighter than the sky itself. This is not possible. But the image gives the impression of the glowing lake, in contrast to the dark waterfornt. Ansel used dark room methods (dodging) to get this effect. It looks natural, but it isn't.

#14 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

Carlos

Congratulantions with your ASOD!

#15 NUNKY

NUNKY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Félicitations pour l'ASOD !
Christian

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Carlos,

A wonderful rendition and I too am sorry I missed this the first time. It brought a cheer and warmth on a day that was very dark and dismal (and not the sky). Congrats on APOD, very deserving for a wonderful person.

#17 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

Carlos,

Once again you've captured a great sight with an equally great sketch! This type of illustration (wide field, like sketches of the Milky Way bands) is most challenging, to me.

:) Jay
South Florida

#18 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Great work Carlos. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#19 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:55 AM

Shannon,

Thank you all for the compliment on my Crescent Moon and Earthshine observation. The view was beautiful and my rendering barely gave it justice. It is an honor to have my observation posted on ASOD.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics