• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi all

I've been both anticipating and dreading sketching the Orion Nebula, I got my chance over the weekend to get it onto paper and I hope you like it.

Posted Image

There was so much detail that I'm sure I missed plenty of it.

There is nebulosity around the star halfway between the Trapezium and the five o'clock position that I'm not sure shows up in the image.

Thanks for taking the time.

#2 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

Looks good! :waytogo:

#3 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

The image that came up on the site is not showing the sketch too well, try this link to get a better view.

http://www.flickr.co...455878/sizes/l/

#4 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have seen worse - like my first attempt which was abysmal!

Yours is an excellent first attempt. :waytogo:

#5 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

looks very good to me! it's a big and difficult target.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Paul,

An excellent observation of the Orion Nebula (M42). The Orion Nebula is a difficult celestial object to render. The density of the nebulosity is variable throughout this impressive emission nebula. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#7 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

One terrific thing about M42 is that you can come back to it again and again, and every time it will reveal something new and glorious to you.

A very nice beginning.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Paul,

I think your sketch of M42/43 looks great. :bow: :rainbow: :cool: It is a daunting sketch target. I have sketched it twice and from poor skies. It is the kind of target you want to go back to and try again and again. Excellent post Paul. :rainbow:

Frank :)

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Paul,

Your rendering looks very good! It is indeed a hard object to sketch and I think you did excellent. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#10 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

This is an object that I will return to over the winter, I feel that there is so much more to see, this was rendered from my urban back garden, so under clearer rural skies more detail could be revealed .

#11 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Paul,

:waytogo:, That's good sketch.

:thanx:,

Tom

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Paul

You recorded most of the central structure quite well around the brightest part of this great nebula known as the "Fish Mouth" in its Trapezium region. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Wait till you get to really dark skies. You will be overwhelmed. There are so many subtle details and ethereal light overlays. Many people such as myself can visually detect a slight brick red or dark marroon tinge of color on the outer cusps of the nebula under dark skies.

I'll look forward to seeing that future observation and sketch from you,

(*I'd be curious to know what art medium materials were used and the size of this work- It appears that you used red and green colored pencils- You might try the solid hard pastel chalks on Artagain paper; as there is a delightful blending of these to be discovered. The better art stores carry hundreds of colors in pastel chalks. But not to concern you with color, the nebula has so many subtle lines, a black and white rendering of M42 is a daunting task for anyone.)

Mark

#13 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

M42 is one of those things we think we all know, as it it has to be THE most looked at deep sky object in the sky, but there's always something new to see. I can't wait to turn my 12 inch on it this winter when the clouds eventually clear.

#14 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

I have a little drawing habit that you might also want to try. I do the the softer nebulosity by applying the pastel to a piece of natural sponge and sweeping that gently onto the paper in areas where you don't want a definte line. You can layer colors this way, too.

#15 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Very cool M-42, i like the way it seems to glow, thanks for sharing.

#16 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

that's a very nice m42 sketch, it was almost the first object i've ever sketched, and i'm definitely not proud of that drawing. :)

#17 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Paul,

You've done a fine job capturing M42. I've long dreaded sketching this incredible object myself. The seemingly boundless faint wisps and delicate structures within this great nebula seem maddening, to me, to sketch. Kudos to you for attempting and successfully capturing this target.

- Jay
South Florida

#18 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Very nice, I recognize nearly all of the features in your sketch.

#19 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:58 AM

Thank you for the great encouragement and advice.

Mark and JanR, I rendered the sketch in pencil and applied the shading with black charcoal, I added the green colour using Photoshop. I've never considered pastels, always sticking to pencil, but you've got me thinking, my birthday's coming up at the end of the year and now I think I know what I want.

Oh darling...

#20 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

You don't need much to get started. Conte pastel pencils are not expensive and a nice choice for the learning curve. I started out with white and black ones, a few blending stumps, a piece of natural sponge, a gentle eraser, and the heaviest weight black paper (pastel) I could find. There are now many choices for paper to choose from. Experiment with different black papers til you find the one that pleases you most.

And remember to *be kind* to yourself; the point of a drawing is not to make great art but to record an observation and more importantly, train your brain. There is no such thing as a "wasted" sketch. There will be sighs, growls and the ocassional four-letter word, even a crumble and toss or two, but soon you will be seeing so much more, you'll be amazed (and impressed)with your ability.

And it's gonna be *fun*.

#21 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

You don't need much to get started. Conte pastel pencils are not expensive and a nice choice for the learning curve. I started out with white and black ones, a few blending stumps, a piece of natural sponge, a gentle eraser, and the heaviest weight black paper (pastel) I could find. There are now many choices for paper to choose from. Experiment with different black papers til you find the one that pleases you most.

And remember to *be kind* to yourself; the point of a drawing is not to make great art but to record an observation and more importantly, train your brain. There is no such thing as a "wasted" sketch. There will be sighs, growls and the ocassional four-letter word, even a crumble and toss or two, but soon you will be seeing so much more, you'll be amazed (and impressed)with your ability.

And it's gonna be *fun*.

Paul

I agree with Janis here on many accounts and I especially like her suggestion about lightly brushing the chalk with a sponge [it can also be done with a brush, a cotton swab or a napkin] and onto the paper to blend [this is actually a technique such as dry brush oil painting] and part of the great fun to see the colors emerge before your eyes, especially on black pastel papers. Blending is the main part of sketching nebulosities and more than half of the fun with pastel chalks and/or Conte Crayons and chalks. It is an Early attempt at M42 and the one piece I executed more blending on than any other work I have produced, and this is a small one on 9" X 12" Artagain paper. >
http://www.cloudynig...rt=2&thecat=500

Another that I get all the time from people: "Gee I'd love to do great art like you Mark, but I cannot afford the materials." Huh? I ask them. I was given the materials as thrown away by someone who did not want them. They were an old box of several sets of antique pastels for free. After several years of using them now, I have slowly depleted my favorite colors, the oranges and yellows, all I originally used, I started with on solar sketching. Then the whites and off-whites wore down from so many large lunar sketches in the past two years. I simply bought a chalk stick or two at a time as needed. The prices range tremendously from a dollar or so per stick and up to several dollars but usually, I buy the inexpensive to intermediate priced ones as they are just fine and the same pigments. The cheapest ones might discourage the first time artist as they lack the higher content of rich pigments and do not adhere well to the paper. I have never purchased a complete set. I never used anything but cotton swabs and napkins to blend; although I just bought blending stumps for the first time a few months ago, I rarely use them. I never use my fingers to blend as the oil from the skin can stain the paper and seal the chalk from erasure if needed for corrections.

Good local art supply stores in your area will carry a plethora of single item materials that are extremely affordable. Part of the fun Janis speaks of is perusing the art stores like a kid browsing the candy isles. It is also inspiring as you run into other artists there that will share their artistic processes and stories.

What’s more, is talking to the workers at the art supply stores as many of then are serious amateurs too, just like you, except they have all the inside info and art supply details as they have constant access to them. Ask them questions about what materials to use as they are experts to learn from.

As for crumbling up works and cursing, that depends on how fun your work gets. (; It becomes second nature and you will adapt to learning something new that will interrelate to others things in life. You become more observant of life in general and your vision opens up an entirely new universe of realities! In the process you will serendipitously teach others, your family, friends, etc will be influenced as they watch you work and your stunning results as you improve. And everyone does improve as it is a natural progression to this artistic process. You may discover another part of your community you may never knew existed.

One point I might both agree in one sense and disagree in another with Janis on is this misunderstanding that your sketching is not also great art. Although our intent here in this forum is to record a technical field sketch from what we observe, I am not telling you anything that is not already in all the history books in so many words about the great artistic process. Many in this world are deterred from ever trying to sketch because they are afraid that they will be wrongfully judged as not a worthy artist. They may have been harshly admonished by a teacher when young. Or worse, that it requires some college degree, class, or prerequisite of formal training. Some of the greatest artists in the history books were all self taught. Conversely a new beginner could simply scratch a few lines and it can immediately become a masterpiece seemingly accidentally. I would encourage you to save all work; date and sign it and never crumple it up in frustration as even your perceived mistakes may be something to learn from. Make a file for your rough drafts separate from your finished masterpieces. You will go back one day and look again and realize your great improvements were owing to some of those mistakes which you corrected later from learning that you would otherwise eventually forget with thrown away early artistic efforts. As Janis said, "There is no wasted sketch". It all adds up to good practice.

In art, good luck comes with the first beginners step! -M 2009

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

Do not fear mistakes; there are none. –Miles Davis

On speaking of rough grinding of the students new telescope mirrors in class, the teacher tells them: “There is no boo-boo you can do in this class that will lead to a life of sorrow, because right now you haven’t got a telescope.” –John Dobson

#22 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Nicely done sketch and color, Paul. I hope you enjoy experimenting with the pastels. There are interesting differences in how graphite, charcoal and pastel behave when blending.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics