Photo

is my C6-SGT hyperstar / fastar compatible?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shams42

shams42

Apollo

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Are all Celestron C6-SGTs hyperstar compatible? This discussion (http://www.celestron...n-a-C6-SGT-.htm) says that it is, but it isn't mentioned in the manual.

It would be totally sweet if my little scope is Hyperstar compatible. I'd have to rethink my planned acquisition of an 80ED for widefield imaging if so.

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

I checked on Starizona's webpage to see if they made an adapter for the C6. Unfortunately, they don't or at least it's not shown on their page. You might want to give Starizona a call to find out for sure.

David

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Well they used to have it listed ... and I think it was $595. I also hear that Jack Heuerkamp has/had one on order. thread

I'd talk directly with Dean at Starizona to find out what is going on.

#4 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:30 AM

Yes it is. I have one for my 2 yr old C6-SGT. Here is the web page: C6 Hyperstar

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yep...there it is. I didn't look hard enough, :p

David

#6 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

John,

How do you like imaging with your C6 and Hyperstar? Do you have any images you've taken with the setup? Do you have any pictures of your C6 inself with the Hyperstar attached? What camera are you using with the setup? I'd be very interested in getting more info from you on the subject.

What are your thoughts concerning imaging at 290mm focal length? Are you guiding or can you get away with being unguided?

Thanks,

Patrick

#7 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:21 AM

Hi Patrick,

I have not worked a lot with the C-6 / Hyperstar combo. I was using a StellaCam III camera with it. I was a little disappointed with the image scale. You basically want to use it for wide field imaging. The above combination will give you about a 1 by 1.5 degree FOV so you would want to image larger objects such as the Rosette Nebula, the Veil Nebula, M31, M33, etc.

I do a lot of public star parties which is why I am partial to video imaging cameras. My standard setup is a C-8 with a f/3.3 focal reducer and a Mallincam color video camera. Jack Huerkamp will be trying the Mallincam with the C-6 / Hyperstar combo. Dean at Starizona told me that the MallinCam would be too large for the C-6 / Hyperstar. We will have to wait for Jack's results if I don't get a chance to try it.

If you are not interested in video imaging but standard CCD camera imaging, then you would want to get a camera whose cross section area would not exceed that of the C-6's secondary. I don't think there would be a need to guide as long as your images were within about a minute in length.

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the input John~

The Hyperstar C6 would be almost equivalent to my AT66ED refractor's focal length when coupled with my 0.8x focal reducer (320mm...f/4.8), except the f/ratio would be faster and I might get a little more resolution.

Patrick

#9 scott-fl

scott-fl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Old thread, but this is the first result in google for celestron c6-sgt hyperstar.

I don't know if it's compatible without an adapter of some sort. The instructions for the hyperstar lens say to unscrew the secondary mirror. However, on my C6 tube there is no way to unscrew the secondary without taking off the corrector plate.

Contrary to the video by Starizona (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z4gj985zRns) there is no outer ring for the secondary mirror on the C6. The Starizona video is not using a C6.

#10 jiminaz

jiminaz

Lift Off

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

If your scope did not come with outer ring to remove your secondary mirror then I am afraid that you are out of luck. A hyperstar conversion kit is available for the C8 and up that allows you to remove your corrector plate, remove the secondary mirror and replace it with the hyperstar addapter for the secondary mirror.

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

As mentioned above the Starizona does indeed have a C6 Hyperstar kit that fits all the modern C6s. There are quite a few folks using this combination, it makes for a killer wide field imaging setup.

Edit: removed incorrect info about fastar compatible removable secondary mirrors on the C6.

#12 salientbunny

salientbunny

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Georgia, US

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

The C6 I bought last summer from High Point Scientific has the Fastar secondary.

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

You know sometimes you look but you don't actually see ... sigh.

Yes C6s have removable secondary mirror assemblies. Later models are actually labeled "fastar" but even the earlier ones (from the mid 2000s) have the removable secondary. The ring on my black tube 2006 era C6 is not knurled, it's smooth and at first glance it doesn't look like it's removable ... but it is.

I've corrected my comment in the posting above.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics